Forums Latest Members

Anyone here snagged the $1500 1967 Speedy w/ red chrono hand on eBay?

1. Pahawi Jun 11, 2014

The auction was around an hour old, when I saw it 3-4 hours ago, and the minute after it was gone (seller probably wouldn’t ship outside US anyway). Of course I forgot to bookmark it - is there a way to find ended listings?

It was listed as a 1969, but was a 1967. It came with papers and instructions, but no box. It needed repair as it would only run for 6 hours, and the case were not too pretty, but for $1500…….

In regard to the red chrono hand – I know there’s different opinions on those – does the new speedy-book have any information on the matter?

Thanks.

2. SandyinAnaheim Jun 11, 2014

You can view completed or sold listings by going to whatever your search was, then on the left hand side of the page under the "Show Only" section, check either or both of the completed or sold checkboxes and voila.

3. Pahawi Jun 11, 2014

Thanks - have played with it, but no luck. What if the seller cancelled his auction - will it still be possible to find it then?

4. TNTwatch Jun 11, 2014

There seems to be some delay by eBay to put completed listings in the history search. I've seen it happened several times already.

I saw it for about a minute too and took a leisure time looking at the pictures, didn't really know right away what I was looking at. It has the wrong DN90 bezel beside the wrong red colour chrono second hand. The case doesn't seem to have the best shape. Neither does the bracelet, but it has the box and papers saying movement's serial in the 26mil range. Dial and caseback seem consistent for either 145.012 or transitional 145.022. No movement photo, so if it checks out, it's a great price for a 145.012. If not, it could still be a good price for a transitional 145.022 too.

5. SandyinAnaheim Jun 11, 2014

I was going to post again last night that I couldn't find it and it may have been pulled. There's one other place you might find the cached page/images. While you have your browser open, hit the Control key and the letter H, this opens your history. Navigate down to ebay and you might have the cached page in memory. This only works if your settings are set to remember your history for x amount of days though...

6. TNTwatch Jun 11, 2014

I still have the listing in my phone so here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301211888083Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. My impression of the box above turns out to be wrong, btw.
    spd1.JPG spd2.JPG spd3.JPG

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 11, 2014

I am pretty sure it was ended without an official sale through ebay.
    That is a $2500 watch all day long

8. TNTwatch Jun 11, 2014

It was an auction starting at around $1100 with a BIN option of $1550. It ended within an hour with a buyer/winner listed, so it's more likely someone got a great deal right there.

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 11, 2014

Ok. I couldn't see a sale or winning bidder....
    i bet the sellers inbox is filling up....

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2014

What is the story on these orange and red hands, are the definitely good and not just spare parts from Speedmaster MK2s stuck on Speedy Pros?

11. TNTwatch Jun 11, 2014

I'm afraid so. Is there anything preventing the seller from reneging the eBay's deal?

BTW, thanks a lot for your speedies reference site, Mr. Spacefruit!

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2014

eBay don't take it too well

13. SandyinAnaheim Jun 11, 2014

But it can be done! A couple of weeks ago I bid on an auction for a bracelet, and like a tool I wrote the seller to ask what the material was made of to confirm what I knew. Apparently one of her minions posted it without the metal description and started it at 99 cents, but this was an 18k bracelet with semi-precious stones and diamonds in the $200 range nearing the end. Well, my question brought it to her attention and she took it down immediately with 50+ bids. That'll teach me! As long as there's a return policy - keep your trap shut! It used to be that once you had a bid, you couldn't cancel the auction, but apparently that has changed.

14. g-boac Jun 11, 2014

I believe the rule is that auctions with less than 12 hours remaining, with at least 1 bid, must be allowed to run their course. Prior to T-12 hours with any number of bids, or, at any point with zero bids, the seller may cancel the auction.

15. SandyinAnaheim Jun 11, 2014

I think this may be circumvented by some vendors who have stores, since they may sell something in person and therefore not have it available for auction any longer. Loophole.

16. g-boac Jun 11, 2014

That speedy is an accurate factory configuration. If you look at a period movie (Marooned, 1969), which is an interesting Apollo/Skylab science fiction movie, the Omega Speedmaster Professional (with red chronograph hand!) makes several appearances. Also note the dot-over-90 bezel, and applied Omega symbol!

Several errors with the A7L suit show, including wrong neckring, helmet, and gloves - the gloves pictured are crude replicas of IVA gloves, which were black rubber. Gloves worn EVA were covered with betacloth and Chromel-R. And the Speedy is not on a correct EVA velcro strap either. Also no secondary oxygen package on the backpack, and the backpack commodities aren't connected to the suit itself, but these are nits, and all in all, a solid, well-earned "A" for effort by the production to represent real hardware, down to the correct EVA watch. Bear in mind this movie was released just after Apollo 11, and certainly filmed before then. . .so well before the average person would have readily known what watch NASA used EVA. So a very commendable effort on working to get details correct, and the only two that have probably come closer were Apollo 13, and the miniseries, From the Earth to the Moon.

They got the Speedy right, so that's what counts here, right?! :)

Omega 1.png
    Omega 2.png
    Omega 3.png