Forums Latest Members

Anyone here smoke their meat? Not safe for vegans

1. Euxinus Sep 10, 2017

Hello OF,

Did a quick search and didn't see any threads about this topic.

Any members enjoy making their own meats? I personally always have a stockpile of smoked bacon, ham, and sausage so that I don't need to eat store bought cold cuts.

Here are some pictures of the raw unsmoked and finished Kiełbasa I made yesterday.

Here im hanging up the unsmoked Kiełbasa on sticks that go into my smoker.

1.jpg

All loaded.
    2.jpg

Here is me proud of my work, sporting my Seiko Samurai on a blue nato from phenomnate
    3.jpg

Here is most of it in the fridge, ready to be enjoyed.
    4.jpg

Its hard to tell from this photo, but these are much thinner (sheep casing) and are not smoked completely, they are still a bit raw on the inside and are left to dry until they are hard as a rock.
    5.jpg

And here is some spicier Kiełbasa drying, this wont be dried as much as the thinner variety.
    6.jpg

Today's breakfast where some of the fresh Kiełbasa can be seen.
    7.jpg

And finally a close up of the finished product. You can see the nice ratio of fat to meat and the well mixed spices. The finger nails are dirty, but thats good because it means the dirt from under my nails didn't end up in the meat!
    8.jpg

JimInOz, TexOmega, ATWG and 4 others like this.
  2. No.15 Sep 10, 2017

I use my 2 smokers a lot. I have cooked almost everything from lasagna to ribs on them. I have a Primo XL and a KJ JR.
    one day I am going to try and make sausage from scratch like that. Props to you :thumbsup:

IMG_20160724_180428[2].jpg IMG_20161102_182831[1].jpg IMGP1051.jpg

TexOmega, George.A, ATWG and 2 others like this.
  3. alam Sep 10, 2017

Baco Noir likes this.
  4. Euxinus Sep 10, 2017

I loved smoked cheese so that pizza is a great idea.

5. Baco Noir Sep 10, 2017

I don't make my own sausages or anything like that but have a Primo XL ceramic smoker and do a lot of cooking with it - pulled pork, ribs, chicken, lamb, tri-tip, etc.

IMG_3862.JPG

Planning on doing a prime rib in a few weeks with some old friends and 5 bottles of 2012 Napa Cabernet Sauvignon from different wineries.

alam and Euxinus like this.
  6. Baco Noir Sep 10, 2017