Forums Latest Members

Anyone here been to Glashutte ?

1. w154 Jun 21, 2018

I have a chance for half a day in Glashutte soon, and wondered if anyone here had been and had any recommendations. I searched and only found a thread on a trip to GO. Have others been to ALS or NOMOS ? Which is better for a run-of-the-mill watch guy ? I’m guessing I’ll only have time for one...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-trip-to-glashütte-manufactory.27877/

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2018

I have - you need to book any tour ahead of time - these places will not just let you walk in and get a tour, as they are typically by appointment only.

Unfortunately my trip was on a Friday that followed a bank holiday, so pretty much everyone was making a long weekend out of it, and most places were closed. I did pop into Nomos and GO, but when I rang the buzzer at ALS, I was given a pretty sound rejection. If you can't book any tours, I highly recommend the museum. It will take you through the history of watchmaking in Glashütte, and for me was far more interesting than another factory tour.

The thing that will hit you more than anything is that pretty much the entire town is watchmaking...well worth a visit even if just to walk around and be surrounded by so many top makers.

Cheers, Al

w154 likes this.
  3. w154 Jun 21, 2018

Thanks Al :thumbsup:

I think the factory tours would be good fo me, but it would be nice to have a watch that could “unlock” a personal tour at ALS or GO. I’m guessing that Nomos might be more accommodating to regular guys off the street. I’ll maybe send some emails off and see what they say.

I do have a post-reunification Union which I guess I’ll have to wear, and I could try and see what Union themselves will do, but unfortunately I think they’re more of an assembler than a manufacturer.

AA589765-3936-4738-85F5-AA0256357F9C.jpeg

Edited Jun 21, 2018
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  4. drhombus24 Jun 22, 2018

I am going to be in the area mid September. I’ll definitely be sure to visit the museum!