Forums Latest Members
  1. joehoya04 Jan 11, 2015

hi all, wondering if anyone has dealt with this ebay seller, watch111.

he seems to have a number of vintage constellations, which to my amateur eyes, look pretty good. high quality pictures with movement shots, and specifies whether or not the dial has been refinished. here's a representative listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...115671248?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item58bc43a2d0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

any thoughts?

thanks.

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 11, 2015

Hey Joe,
    Not a Connie guy and don't know seller (You're thinkin' why are you here?),
    just curious why a ss case appears to have a cap on it (on some pictures, not so much on others?).
    Only answers I know are white gold (doubtful) or fake?
    I don't mean to be a troublemaker, but the fake cases have no edge bevel and a cap with a bevel would hide this?
    Joe, I'd hold off for some Connie experts before I'd do anything with this baby!

Edited Jan 11, 2015
  3. TNTwatch Jan 11, 2015

UncleBuck, if you meant the gold color in this picture, then it is likely the reflection from the person taking the picture or some tungsten light source mixed in. The watch appears to be all genuine and original including old style crown and the yellow gasket as well as in good shape overall except the shortened second hand and slightly patinated H/M hands which could possibly be cleaned/polished off. The dome dial is not in very high demand so the price may be a bit high. I have no experience with the seller though.

$_57 (11).JPG
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 11, 2015

Hi TNT, glad you're here!
    I am concerned about the lug picture, looks like a cap?

$_57.jpg

I shouldn't even be in the world of Connie's, just trying to be of some help.
    Please help us!

5. TNTwatch Jan 11, 2015

That camera angle is hiding the chamfer below the lug, but it's pretty much there in the picture below. A note about this chamfer also: it's slightly different from the one in Desmond's guide in that its upper edge is not exactly inline with the lower edge of the case's side, but I still believe it is genuine considering all the other aspects of the case.
    $_57.JPG
    Why shouldn't you? Wasn't it time for some Connies to wrap around your wrists? I'm just glad to be here and also glad to see you here as well!

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 11, 2015

Thank you!!
    There will definitely be a cross hair Connie in my future some day!

I measured a break or variation or seam approximately 1/5 from the top edge of the lug's side on the photo I showed.
    Other photos didn't show the same imho.
    Your explanation of the difference would make perfect sense!
    Photos are definitely misleading.

p.s.
    I won't be able to respond as I feel my 1k post has to include a free gift or monumental reveal and I am prepared with neither!!

MikiJ, Hijak and Mothra like this.
  7. TNTwatch Jan 11, 2015

Just my pleasure to throw in some pennies. Oh, and I meant plural, Connies and wrists...:whistling:
    Happy anniversary anyways!

UncleBuck likes this.
  8. joehoya04 Jan 12, 2015

thanks for the input guys!

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 12, 2015

How 'bout we meet for a cocktail or three?
    p.s.
    I won't be able to respond as I feel my 1k post has to include a free gift or monumental reveal and I am prepared with neither!!

UncleBuck likes this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 13, 2015

Case ref 14900 should not have t next to Swiss Made on lumed dial, too early for that.

11. TNTwatch Jan 13, 2015

14900-61 is not exactly early for Tritium.

12. JohnSteed Jan 13, 2015

Good discussion

I've looked at this Connie not long ago. Looks really nice! But discussed with some more knowledgable here, and given what I learned, walked away:--

As I got to understand, seems Omega began putting one T or two Ts next to "swiss made" on lumed dials which movement of Serial number of 21 million or above.

I asked and, according to seller, this Movement SN is 20671855. So it seems a bit old for those T's on this dial. Meaning...Maybe the Movement was swapped from a newer one? I don't know but that impacted me in this case.

Ultimately, you have to get comfortable taking the plunge. I would have if this was a Speedmaster btw. Just didn't get there with this Connie

If this received wisdom isn't actually the case, then .....

13. TNTwatch Jan 13, 2015

lumedates.jpg
    Wuyunjea281 and JohnSteed like this.
  14. JohnSteed Jan 13, 2015

Yup. Interesting!

So ....

"not unusual for two years or more to pass between the assignment of a serial number to a movement and the assembly of the ancillary parts (dials, bracelet, box, papers, etc.)."

versus

..the watch in question may have an original dial with the case but the movement is not. movement is a bit older and the movement is a bit too old for those T's. Maybe it was swapped from a newer one ...

Quite interesting...

Decisions Decisions

15. TNTwatch Jan 13, 2015

Movement a bit newer than case, but 2 year difference in numbers is within acceptable range as a 1961 case could have been used for assembly 1 or 2 years later and the 20Mth movement estimated to 1963 could have been actually produced 1 or 2 years earlier. The hands, the crown and the yellow gasket all appear to be aged and period correct. The bracelet could also be original or period correct as well.

PS: Tritium was used from 1960 until late 1990s so that movement is not old at all for the Ts.
    The only issue is price which I think a bit high for a dome dial with the ageing hands (while low for a pie-pan one). If you really like, it may be worth bargaining a bit, but I see a few already got interested with 11 offers so far, so good luck whichever ways.

Edited Jan 13, 2015
    JohnSteed likes this.
  16. JohnSteed Jan 13, 2015

Yeah I would agree with you but I likely need more ::book:: to get there on this one. The Comfort factor. I probably would have gone after harder were it a pie pan...

17. JohnSteed Jan 13, 2015

18. TNTwatch Jan 13, 2015

Yes, with patience you can find similar one for better deal or better one at similar deal.
    I did too.

19. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 13, 2015

I doubt if anybody can find an ORIGINAL 14900 constellation with t next to Swiss Made on a lumed dial.

20. TNTwatch Jan 13, 2015

I guess you'd be right if you could provide reasons for your doubt.