Forums Latest Members

Anyone getting black Titanium 300m?

1. fergusm Aug 4, 2019

Look beautiful but also huge... Omega pls pls pls make a 39mm version (thinner too)

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2019

What are Pam movements "actually"?

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 4, 2019

In the past a mixture of Unitas/eta 6497 ( in at least one case base grade) and modified eta 7750 movements. Not bad by any stretch, just not anything I’d necessarily claim to be amazing value in 5-10k watches.

While I understand these older movements are still in the catalog, newer “in house” movements from my understanding are not anything particularly amazing.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2019

Panerai have used a number of movements from different manufacturers over the years. Leaving out vintage with the Corteberts, the "modern" Panerai's have used the ETA 6497's and the ETA 7750's you mention. The 7750 variant with the chronograph parts removed is what I have in my PAM 104, and like any other 7750 based watch I've ever handled it is reliable and accurate:

[​IMG]

They have also used full chronograph versions of the 7750 in some of their chronograph watches, including some that were modified for additional features such as flyback and even rattrapante. They have also used the Lemania 1872 manual wind chronograph movement for a number of models.

In addition the GMT/alarm movement used in the PAM 098 is based on a Girard Perregaux movement - Cal. 59 from memory.

In the PAM 192 they used an 8-day manual wind movement that was based on a JLC caliber.

Most of the current line are "in house" and presumably made mostly by Richemont, so not just your average maker.

So if you take more than a passing glance at what these movements actually are, it runs a little deeper than just 6497's and basic 7750's.

Cheers, Al

BenBagbag and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 4, 2019

I think we are on the same page. My point was if your going value for the money as someone claimed Pam’s movements are, they are not exactly a high point. I do thank you for the list of base movements they have used.

While good movements, there is nothing particularly special about them and they tended to be in the past old school reliable movements or modifications on them. I referenced the 3304 in the Speedy date as a 7750 based movement which as we both noted is used stripped down in a lot of Pam models, specifically as it comment I was responding to seem to claim the Pam movements where better then Omega movements.

I am aware modified movements can greatly surpass the movements they where based on, but in Pam’s case that does not seem to be the case from my understanding.

I’m not knocking Pam’s, just the value proposition that someone made specifically around movements. Don’t get me wrong I appreciate them and as I’ve said multiple times I’m currently looking at getting one of the three California dial models. One is the Unitas movement, one is the new 1000 ( I think) “in-house” movement... I just need to gauge price to thinness, to movement, to blue hands, to logo/sterile dials.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2019

The value proposition is something everyone has to decide for themselves. Their newer movements have certainly had growing pains, but so have Omega's. Personally I would call it a draw on movements.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Comtaygious Aug 4, 2019

What pam would you even compare to this omeg/

8. Bushido Aug 5, 2019

Closest current production models from Panerai which fit the diver type, size, and price point would probably be the 683, 959, 973, and 960.

Panerai has a number of divers with materials ranging from your typical steel and titanium, with or without ceramic bezels, to carbotech and BMG. If you're wanting specifically a ceramic case, Pam has multiple models in both the Luminor and Radiomir lines.

9. Mcvictory Aug 5, 2019

The ceramic SMP has no competitor at the moment.

There is no ceramic diver from eg Panerai at the moment or you have to buy a Panerai Luminor for double the price of the SMP. Also other brands have no diver watches in their portfolio which could be compared to the ceramic SMP.

While some find the price gap to the steel version is too big I still think it is a bargain - ceramic case combined with Titanium, inhouse movement, classic dial layout, ...

10. FlyingSnoopy Aug 5, 2019

Correct!
    Cheers

rominvicta likes this.
  11. Comtaygious Aug 5, 2019

Those Pams are nice, but the carbon ones are a lot cooler and will run you 15k +. Since the (PAM00959) and the like are steel not titanium it's hard to directly compare to the titanium omega, but I guess in this price range you do have to at least consider them.

12. rominvicta Aug 7, 2019

Yes correct. But you may just break them apart. ;)

13. Steve88M3 Aug 7, 2019

It isn’t big enough tho

14. stuart70 Aug 7, 2019

I would say that Tudor make the closest to the SMP, with both titanium and steel and gold. With the Tudor ‘One for Only watch 2019’ bring a ceramic Black Bay, does that mean a ceramic version is on its way?

I personally do like the Unitas 6497 or 8 versions of Panerai. I do think that the PAM318 was a dire mistake.

15. Andygood Aug 23, 2019

I don't have to do any research, I have owned 100+ reasonably high end watches over the last 10 years including many Omegas. Love my Omegas, especially the Planet Oceans I have owned, the Panerai I have (1950 3 days) is easily in the same league in all aspects and the nice thing is I don't have to do any outsourcing because the included straps are competitively better. I think all in all Omega vs Panerai is comparing two different styles but in general quality terms, very sold on the Panerai.

16. Andygood Aug 23, 2019

It's not a "problem" Omega gets hammered in re-sale value the same way Panerai does LE or not.

17. Andygood Aug 23, 2019

I will give you an example so you understand, I bought the $8,100 ceramic and titanium 300M, beautiful watch. Then purchased the Panerai 1950 around the same price ($7,700). Now I am pretty picky so this isn't a knock on the gorgeous 300M but I just don't like loud rotor noise on an 8k watch, the Panerai finishing is sublime, lume is good on both watches, crown feels better on the Panerai even though it doesn't mean the Omega crown isn't good, there is no comparison on the rubber strap and tang as the Panerai is superior, they both keep spot on time. The finishing on the Panerai is easily comparable if not better on both the case and the movement, this is a fact. This is my first Panerai and looking around I don't see taking a major re-sale hit considering what I paid for it as compared to my Omega's that I get for a discount then get endlessly beat up to move.

18. rominvicta Aug 23, 2019

::facepalm1::

19. Andygood Aug 24, 2019

it just can't be possible

20. rominvicta Aug 24, 2019

Yeap, it may be possible. I hope you have not paid USD 8100 for a copycat Seamaster! But that is the only case in which what you say would be logical.