Forums Latest Members

anyone ever put an OEM 22mm brown croc strap on 21mm lugs Update 22mm strap on

1. hbombkid Jan 18, 2019

I tried to do a search and some threads, but those did not really answer my question.

I personally just like OEM stuff that is why I am asking the question vs buying an aftermarket strap. Also I know I could go to an AD or OB and buy new 21 MM straps but always looking for the better preowned deals. 21MM are hard to come by on the preowned side.

Here is the ask I have the 2500 AT 21MM. Would an OEM 22 brown croc fit? The 22mm strap is not curved its NOS. Would I be able to get away with it just using curved spring bars? Do I even need to do that or would regular spring bars work?

Thanks!!!

2. pianomankd Jan 18, 2019

You could always shave down the lug area on the strap if you have to I guess....

3. Kwijibo Jan 18, 2019

hm, why don't you buy and OEM 21?

X350 XJR likes this.
  4. hbombkid Jan 18, 2019

Well spend 350 at and AD or pay 150 for a NOS 22mm

5. Kwijibo Jan 18, 2019

Sorry I thought you were talking about a generic one. You shoud fit it in.

6. Bushido Jan 18, 2019

I wouldn't think it is a big deal or very difficult. The only thing which may give you grief is how stiff the strap is at the lug holes. I swap straps around pretty regularly and every once in a while mismatch widths. Stiff or thick croc straps at the lug holes are the only thing I've run in to which gave me trouble.

7. BradleyJ. Jan 18, 2019

Unless you shave it down 1mm or .040" I wouldnt recommend it. You can probably squeeze it in but think about how tight it will be to the lugs and how hard it will be to get a spring bar tool in there to get it back out in the future.

chickenman26 and REckroat like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 18, 2019

Try a curved spring bar.

Shaheen and STANDY like this.
  9. keepitsimple Jan 20, 2019

Yes - did exactly that, and darkened the cut edges. It only needs the 1mm to be shaved off. You would never know.

10. hbombkid Jan 23, 2019

thanks for the advice folks. I got a 22mm brown croc for 150 so way better than paying 350 at my AD. I will see how it fits with normal spring bars, then go curved, and finally shave it down a smudge if necessary. I will post pics when it comes in.

Lbreak likes this.
  11. Gasman Jan 23, 2019

File 1mm off the lugs :)

KingCrouchy likes this.
  12. ext1 Jan 23, 2019

You should try custom made straps....I was a nonbeliever at first, stuck to OEM...then was converted.

Gbhulk likes this.
  13. bardamu Jan 23, 2019

Agree. Lots of artisans out there doing high quality and affordables 21mm leather straps.

ext1 and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 23, 2019

Still think curved is the way to try.

15. ras47 Jan 23, 2019

I have tried to fit a 22mm leather strap on my co-axial Speedmaster with 21mm lugs. Couldn't get it to fit without shaving the leather, and that always came out like crapola.

There is a paucity of fine 21mm leather straps. It's just not popular enough a size to engender production. Custom straps are an option, but then you're talking $260 and up. Way up. 21mm straps leave a noticeable gap that makes me crazy. 22mm straps either don't fit or have to be bent/crushed to fit and they deform.

16. Wuza72 Jan 23, 2019

Funny !

Today i bought a handmade strap in a shop.

Normaly i buy over the internet, but now i have a big colletion with unworn straps, because the look and feel was different to the one i´ve seen on the screen.

The verry friendly guy told me, that he could sell me a 20mm strap (18mm needed) and stamp 1mm on each side out.

That´s what i have also seen on an old Omega strap i own.

This could also be a solution for you.

17. yinzerniner Jan 23, 2019

The older design "cousu main" marked alligator Omega straps tend to have softer ends that the newer models, as there's less side burnishing and no hard plastic/foam insert and thus they're easier to squeeze down a bit. However when squeezing then ends down the portion that is outside the lugs will still jut out a bit, which sometimes exhibits a "muffin top" look. Also the alligator hide on these straps looks amazing but is a slightly thinner and more brittle than the newer models, so there could be some splitting if not done correctly or with care.

The curved springbar will help a bit with the fit, but will not be enough to fully account for the ~5% difference in width. Also depending on one's aesthetic sensibilities this will create an even larger gap between the case and the strap.

To the OP, it's a crapshoot whether that specific 22 will work well on 21mm lugs, but it might be worth saving a few hundred just to try it out. Worst comes to worse a nice custom alligator strap can probably be made for the money saved in case the 22 doesn't work out.

18. MRC Jan 23, 2019

Makes me wonder, how about a set of hole punches? Somehing hard underneath and one blow with the right hammer would do a neat job. Two blows, less so.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hole-Pun...ches-Leather-Craft-Belt-Cutters-/251179743657Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Measure twice, hit once :thumbsup:

queriver and Wuza72 like this.
  19. yinzerniner Jan 23, 2019

That's a terrible idea. Unless you have the same finesse with a hammer as Federer has with a racquet you'd at best mash the end of the strap and at worst completely knacker the entire insert and wreck the end of the strap.

I've seen plenty of people use a Dremel to SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY (can't emphasize this enough) shave away some excess, but even then it doesn't work well on the excess that sits outside / in front of the lugs as the ends are folded over to create the side profile, not glue together and then burnished like other strap styles.

20. keepitsimple Jan 23, 2019

X-acto knife (other quality craft knives are available) and a bit of care will shave off 1mm so cleanly you'd never know.