Forums Latest Members

Anyone ever get 'defensive' about their watch/watches?

1. kip595 Mar 1, 2021

Almost brought this up on the "how often do you see a nice watch..." thread, but decided it's a different enough topic basically: today in the course of work I met a gent wearing a vintage Sub date - the bezel was well-worn and even at a glance the dial was aged.

As I would to anyone I'm working with, I casually said something like; "Hey, vintage Sub, nice one!"

At first he grinned and responded with enthusiasm, "Been in the family since '82!" as we proceeded about our business - and that's when things got a bit odd. I realized he was looking at me, not really staring but sort of glancing back and forth, then he just blurted "It's an heirloom piece!" So I shrugged, figure maybe he doesn't get to talk about watches too often, said "Well hey that's a great piece to have in the family."..."My dad bought it before they were so expensive!"

He was acting outright strangely by now, I just sort of nodded, said his dad must've had good taste, and we finished our deal (my company is a vendor for his group). Then as I'm wishing him good afternoon, he randomly blurts "I really don't even wear it often."

By this point I was tired of trying to figure out what he was getting at and just said something like, "Well, enjoy it!" in what I hope sounded a cheery tone.

I'm still a bit confused about the encounter. Did he think I was mocking his choice? Calling his watch old? Envious? (I was, as I often do at work, wearing my Oris 65 during our meeting)

I've seen people get both haughty about their watch as well as protective, but I've never seen someone get almost embarrassed about wearing a lovely example of a classic, regardless of brand. Anyone else ever seen or experienced such behavior?

p.s. Yes, most people I work with know I'm a watch nerd, but it's actually often led to many enjoyable conversations - just last week a fairly new top-level customer and I debated the merits of Longines vs Breitling longer than we talked about his account balances.

2. Canuck Mar 1, 2021

Someone on the OB recently commented that “he didn’t consider pocket watches, to be watches”! Sometimes you learn a lot about some people by just listening, and dismissing what they say when it is not the way you think!

Waltesefalcon, DSotW, wagudc and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan S Mar 1, 2021

It sounds to me like he was uncomfortable with the idea that you knew he had a 5-figure watch on his wrist.

Nobody ever notices a watch that I'm wearing, so I wouldn't have the opportunity to be defensive. However, I'm not particularly eager for coworkers to know the value of my watches.

kov, timestamp, Dsloan and 22 others like this.
  4. kip595 Mar 1, 2021

If it was out at the local pub or grocer or something I'd think that, and wouldn't have said anything to begin with - but he was literally there to write a considerably larger check, and then he brought up its value, not me. So I'm still just a bit perplexed about it. Yes, many times value being relatively 'secret' is nice, but what am I gonna do, mug'em in my office and then tell my security guy some other guy snuck in and robbed him? ::confused2::

5. Dan S Mar 1, 2021

No, I wasn't thinking about it that way. He's not a collector, so he might have been projecting the way he might feel about someone who would spend so much money on a watch. And he wanted to make it clear that he wasn't frivolous enough to buy such an expensive watch, it was something that he inherited. And even his father bought it when it was cheap.

Larry S, Syrte, airansun and 10 others like this.
  6. kip595 Mar 1, 2021

Y'know, that's just convoluted enough (to me) to make sense actually. Hrm...I think you might have something there, @Dan S :thumbsup:

Dan S likes this.
  7. Braindrain Mar 1, 2021

From my experience, anyone who wears a R usually gets sucked into very awkward and unpleasant conversations, like "why would you spend $$$$ on that?" "Don't you care about your mortgage/kid college fund/(insert whatever)" "I'd never spend that much on a watch, even if I had the funds,"

No, I've never been the recipient as I don't wear R. But I've witnessed plenty.

Your colleague probably thought it was going to be *one of those* convos.

Larry S, Caliber561, Archer and 4 others like this.
  8. cvalue13 Mar 1, 2021

+1

Sounds like he was being self conscious, projecting, for being outed as having on such an expensive watch.

Occasionally on this forum Regular Joe swings by asking a question about a rather nice (and expensive) watch belonging to his father, uncle, etc. “It’s an heirloom piece, I’d never sell it, but curious what it’s worth,” they say. They’re then told a figure with five digits. Suddenly it’s one of the most expensive single belongings they own (and don’t owe $ toward), and possibly the only luxury item they’ll ever own. They may have meanwhile judged others spending so much money on such a thing, but now by circumstance of sentimentality they’re one of those people, too.

For many, that could be uncomfortable skin to be in.

9. Walrus Mar 1, 2021

Maybe he normally wears Richard Mille watches and you caught him on the one day he was slumming with a rolex and was embarrassed.

Edited Mar 1, 2021
    kov, Lurk41, Dsloan and 26 others like this.
  10. kip595 Mar 1, 2021

:rolleyes: That's more like the people I used to work with - maybe I really was in L.A. too long!

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. Observer I know nothing! Mar 1, 2021

I think your colleague may have been a wannabe egalitarian who has guilt issues with apparent displays of wealth.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. Observer I know nothing! Mar 1, 2021

Sorry, but if it’s not attached to your wrist, it’s really just a miniature clock.

Walrus likes this.
  13. Walrus Mar 1, 2021

Excellent observation

14. Dor_42 Mar 2, 2021

Was this your first encounter with this guy? Maybe he's just a bit odd or have some sort of social communication disorder (not trying to be disrespectful to anyone!).

blufinz52 likes this.
  15. CPRwatch Mar 2, 2021

Defensive about my watches, me NEVER . Lets just leave it there before things get nasty .

16. lillatroll Mar 2, 2021

I buy the watches I like and I am happy to talk all day along about them, whether it's a Rolex of which I only own a modest vintage 3 hander, or my timex, it lights up in the dark when you push the crown in, how cool is that? Or whatever watch i happen to be wearing.

I don't care if others think it's insane to spend thousands on a watch I think its insane to buy over priced coffee from a shop everyday. We all have different views on what we value. Collecting watches just happens to be my insanity pastime.
    Maybe the guy thought he was going to have to.write a bigger cheque next time and didn't want you to think he was made of money ;)

TimeOnTarget, Thommas, marco and 3 others like this.
  17. oinkitt Mar 2, 2021

Someone has too much time on their hands!!

Thommas likes this.
  18. Dor_42 Mar 2, 2021

The official forum tag line.

Or maybe it should be "You can never have too much time on your hand"

19. Transitus Mar 2, 2021

You never quite know what's in someone's head.
    Many years ago I was at a conference in Australia where we were asked to turn and introduce ourselves to the people next to us.
    I turned to the guy to my right, shook hands, told him my name and that I was from the UK.
    Hi face immediately fell and he said,
    "So what?"
    And swiftly to the left....

20. mountainunder Mar 2, 2021

I think he thought you were going to rob him of his watch.:whistling:

Observer likes this.