Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo Jun 5, 2014

I've got a few laying around that I rarely wear and are not in the best condition but I just can't bring myself to let them go. In fact, I've never sold anything. I'm afraid my interest will turn back around and the rarely worn, beat up Seamaster will suddenly become a regular go-to daily watch. Maybe I'm sentimental. Maybe I'm crazy or just stubborn. For example, I would be happy with a complete set of everything Kyle has listed over the years. I know many of you are continuing to upgrade the collection but I just can't let go. Am I alone here?

Sincerely,

Conflicted in DC

2. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2014

Maybe you're a……. HOARDER!!! :eek:

( :p )

There are, or should I say were, a lot of collectors like you that would never get rid of one of their babies. And then along comes this one watch that has captivated them which they MUST have - but it's out of their financial reach without making a few flips. Guess how fast the listings start appearing? :D Now, not all of these collectors have given in to temptation. More have than haven't though!

Believe it or not, there was a time that I was not going to sell anything ever either - until this Jezebel came along:

[​IMG]

The siren's call was too strong to resist. I think I borrowed from my utility bill fund to cover what I didn't have on hand, and then flipped a few watches to replace the money. I was so enthralled with the purchase and had so much fun with the process (chatting with potential WIS buyers, overlooking the collection to see which were the ones that I couldn't part with, the idea of selling a few lesser pieces to upgrade to one better specimen, etc.) that it converted me to the Master Flipper I am today.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the first sale is the hardest. After that, it gets easy. Besides, if you regret selling one it's not like it was the ONLY watch of it's kind so you can track down another.

UncleBuck, John R Smith and JohnSteed like this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 5, 2014

Dear Conflicted in DC,
    Yes.
    You are alone here.
    Keep reading this forum and have no fear. You will soon be like the rest of us.
    Bwah ha ha ha...! :)

Selbo likes this.
  4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 5, 2014

I have yet to sell a watch, but I'm right on the edge of the transition from hoarder to flipper... I feel like that little Dutch boy, and my finger is beginning to cramp...

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

Have sold a lot but unfortunately have hoarded even more.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

I hoard with the exception of when I do something really stupid, like buying over my head on something big or special and need to pay it off quickly. The problem with that is good watches don't come evenly spaced during the year, they're usually all at once... that's when hoarding gives way a little.

7. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2014

I think I'm gonna "Follow" you and get alerts on all your posts so when that first watch hits the sales forum I'm checking it out immediately. ;)

…. or you could just PM a few of us like minded hard core nut jobs. :p

I think you should legally change your middle name to "Omega". It's justified.

8. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2014

"Watch Season". Some of us subscribe to that theory and save our pennies for the February - April period.

9. NT931 Jun 5, 2014

Having bought a few from Feb to May, I subscribe to Dsio's theory fully. Nice watches suddenly come together!

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. richardew Jun 5, 2014

I haven't sold one yet, and for the near future I don't intend to sell one.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

Um, that would be me.
    gatorcpa

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

It always seems to be October and a month either side for me, but this time around Feb-April happened too

13. mac_omega Jun 5, 2014

+1 I think I fall also into this category...;)but the time has come to part with some out of the "multiple watch" category to fill up the totally rotten bank account... sigh... I hate to let go...

14. Varasc Jun 5, 2014

I only have two Omegas yet... So, yes, I have never sold a watch before. :-(

15. Selbo Jun 5, 2014

I can almost hear the PMs being typed up now...

ulackfocus likes this.
  16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

Hmm...any Chronometres? :)

I've sold a bunch but there are also some that I will never sell!

17. JohnSteed Jun 5, 2014

I sold a 1960s Clebar to finish funding a 1964 Speedy Ed White purchase. I almost cried letting the Clebar go, but was excited to get something better (IMHO) in xchange.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 5, 2014

Have sold a few but have hoarded too many.
    Seriously I need to thin my collection. I really need it. It is healthy thing to do. I should do it now. Again .... now ..... don't wait again.......now....just do it....now..... (nothing happened) ::facepalm1::

John R Smith likes this.
  19. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 5, 2014

I used to say my watches must get worn, or get gone, and that three was the right number.

Today, I still don't believe in "safe (or drawer) queens", but the acceptable number of watches in my stable today is no longer three, and keeps edging up.

I usually do trades, saves me the hassle of a sale, but have sold a couple - doing so now with an "excess" Speedmaster.

After that sale, I'll still be a net +5 watches for the year.

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

And you know my email Erich.

mac_omega likes this.