Forums Latest Members

Anyone Else Missing Their Mom?

1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 13, 2018

We lost this wonderful loving, caring, kind and generous woman in October. She loved cooking, good food, baseball, college football and spoiling her grandchildren. She was always up for an adventure and she never stopped learning, an avid reader often consuming several books a week. More than anything though, she was a tireless volunteer, freely giving her time to her church and numerous philanthropic organizations, anyone who crossed paths with her came away the better for it. Ever the optimist, her glass was always half full.

First Mothers Day without her, hurts so fucking bad.

IMG_0989 copy.JPG

2. ulackfocus May 13, 2018

Sorry for your loss Norm. :(

Luckily, both my parents are still here. Just had dinner with them and then we had a Rummikube battle.

rcs914, M'Bob and noelekal like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 13, 2018

A sobering Mother's Day here. At 83, my mother is failing at present. 2 1/2 weeks ago she fell and broke her hip. I've been mostly out-of-town with both her and my dad since. She underwent hip replacement and we placed her in a rehab facility for therapy last Wednesday. She fell again this morning and has been returned to the hospital. Other health issues are combining to make it a chore for her to recover from the setback of the hip fracture, bad A-Fib and the onset of dementia being the most pressing health issues.

Mtek, Noddyman, rcs914 and 4 others like this.
  4. jmazpiazu May 13, 2018

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I have a very special relationship with my mom so your post quite moved me.

Hopefully she's alive and my dad as well.

Due to being working abroad I only see them once a year for Christmas. I often ask myself if it's really worth being away from the family for this long.

Edited May 13, 2018
    rcs914 and M'Bob like this.
  5. kkt May 13, 2018

A little over four years now. It doesn't stop hurting.

Noddyman, rcs914, airansun and 3 others like this.
  6. lillatroll May 14, 2018

My mum died nearly three years ago and like you I work abroad. My dad skyped me to say she had been taken into hospital, she died a few days later. I got an email from my sister telling me they were going to switch off the life support machine and asked if there was anything I wanted her to say to mum before they turned off the machine. By the time I got the email it was several hours after theye had turned off the machine.
    I love the fact that I get to live and work in different parts of the world but being so far away from family and friends, especially when stuff happens is very difficult.

Noddyman, rcs914, airansun and 4 others like this.
  7. Professor May 14, 2018

Mom passed away about 9 years ago at the age of 93.

rcs914, photo500 and M'Bob like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 14, 2018

Lost my mom after a difficult final four years last September. Had to abort a Chinese business trip after one day as I’m executor. I still believe she’s going to find a way to call be on Sunday nights. Still expect the phone to ring. Spent much of yesterday on estate work ... also adored my mother in law who passed three years ago.

Noddyman, rcs914, airansun and 3 others like this.
  9. Paedipod May 14, 2018

For all of you who have posted here I am sorry for your losses but happy that you have had positives to look back upon.

My mom would have been 87 this year, but I only had the chance to know her and learn from her until I was almost 14. I don't believe that time heals these wounds and much as many of us have shared in recent posts those cherished spots in our hearts for our beloved pets, so too are these parts reserved for others who have provided an unconditional love. They do not get walled off and cannot be excised either. I am fortunate to have a stepmother who appeared in our lives at the right time and who understands this, making a presence within our family, so still have the opportunity to celebrate with her. None of us expect her to be a replacement, maybe more like a broadway role transitioned to a new "star".

And no wish to hijack the thread, just sharing as another son in the grief and the celebration of lives lived well.

Rasputin, Noddyman, rcs914 and 5 others like this.
  10. M'Bob May 14, 2018

Nice that you posted this. I lost my mom last May, and for anyone who has dealt with a parent who is chronically ill, there are a varied set of emotions that follow their passing. Sadness, relief, fatigue, etc. There may be strained and often difficult relationships with siblings. Then, on top of it, if your relationship with that patent was complex, there can be alternating guilt for not missing them more, or a deep sense of loss when you do. Time seems to help, though, at least it can provide some distance and clarity to the situation.

warrydog, Noddyman, rcs914 and 4 others like this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 14, 2018

To this I add a hearty AMEN. Been there.

M'Bob likes this.
  12. photo500 May 14, 2018

Sorry to hear that mate, I fully understand how difficult this can be. It was my first Mothers Day without my Mum too. She passed away in June last year as a result of a fall in Hospital. I managed to get there after a dash of 6000km just before they switched the machines off.

warrydog, Tritium, Noddyman and 3 others like this.
  13. airansun In the shuffling madness May 14, 2018

My mother died 28 years ago, at age 58. She never got to know her grandchildren. I still regularly relive, in my mind, the day she died. I spoke to her on the phone for over an hour that morning and managed to arrive at the hospital shortly after she passed. The worst week in my life followed.

I still miss her all the time. I most miss sharing with her how I’ve grown from 35 years old to the present. And I guarantee she’d have some valuable insights for my 24 year old daughter.

If I’m sane, if I’m a decent human being, it’s all her handiwork.

14. rcs914 May 14, 2018

I lost my mom in November of 2015 to AML. Having the year after she was diagnosed to mentally prepare was a godsend. I didn't have it with my dad 3 years earlier, and frankly that still hurts a lot worse. Unlike other forms of cancer, there was little suffering for her - eventually her kidneys shut down and she went septic. I could write a book here about the mixed emotions, the grief, the guilt and the relief too.

What is odd to me is that my grandparents almost all lived much longer than their children. My dad died at 68 and my mom at 78. My dad's parents were 91 and 89 respectively, and his mom smoked and drank every day of her life. My mom's mom lived to be 90. Only her dad passed away earlier, at 65. But he worked for Bell Labs and used carbon tetrachloride in an enclosed environment almost every day, so his pancreatic cancer was likely environmental.

Anyway, I miss my mom very much. I wish my kids could know her. I'm glad that she at least got to see her first grandchild.

15. airansun In the shuffling madness May 14, 2018

True of me too, curiously enough. All of my grandparents lived longer than their children and my grandparents all had tougher lives than my parents.

16. warrydog May 14, 2018

My sincere condolences..And thanks for creating this post.
    My Mom passed a little over 2 years ago and although we miss her very much,
    most family gatherings are full of fun stories and great memories of her....
    My best wishes for you for healing.

M'Bob, photo500 and X350 XJR like this.
  17. Timer May 15, 2018

Definitely, I miss Mom a great deal. Lost her to Alzheimer's a few years ago, then Dad followed last year. Yesterday I thought about her when she was with sound mind, the woman I like to remember full of love for her family and with all her energy. She was always there for all of us, no matter what. Sending best wishes your way Norman. You'll always have her in your thoughts, she'll never leave you there.

M'Bob, X350 XJR and photo500 like this.