Forums Latest Members
  1. Jackgeelong Aug 22, 2017

My grandfather gave me this watch a few months ago and when I took it to the local watch and battery stand he said she couldn't service it as it is Swiss. Just don't know if uts legit before I consider spending 800 bucks getting it serviced.
    Thanks so much!
    Jack

20170822_140431.jpg 20170822_140314.jpg 20170822_131934.jpg 20170822_132318.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 22, 2017

800 bucks? It appears legit but $800 for service? Where are you located?

Jackgeelong likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 22, 2017

You should be thinking your grandfathers watch is priceless and not bothering how much to service it. ;)

But $800 is double what you would pay if no major parts are needed.

Yes it's real and a nice looking watch with a great movement.

If your in Aus by your name maybe a fellow member @JimInOz from down your way can point you in the right direction for a service in Melbourne.

Jackgeelong and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 22, 2017

Legit manual wind, missing the seconds hand.

If that's the price the stand is quoting you that's only if it's going to Omega and you don't want that.

Servicing should be around $150-250US for such a watch, and could potentially include the cost of sourcing a seconds hand.

Jackgeelong likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 22, 2017

Jackgeelong likes this.
  6. Canuck Aug 22, 2017

Not so fast! Missing the centre sweep seconds hand arbor, centre sweep seconds cock and screw, centre sweep seconds arbor drive wheel, sweep seconds hand, and two case screws! Oddly, the centre sweep seconds pinion tension spring and screw, and the extended top pivot of the third wheel are there! Fortunately! And that is just what it needs that is obvious What else might be missing or broken! Who is going to fix that for $150.00 to $250.00? Add to that the godawful Chinese after market bracelet. The watch is real, and has potential. But it might make sense to be looking for a rough donor watch to cannibalize, rather than to try to locate any parts this one might need.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2017

It's real Jack.

If you feel you can trust me to check it out for you and determine what has to be done you can send it to me for the cost of a local registered envelope.

I won't be able to service the watch as I'm only a "hobby watchmaker", but I can give you some advice on the way to go with this one.

Cheers

Jim

PS: Go Bombers :D

8. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 22, 2017

If I said I'm a Swans supporter...
    Cats = new team that people love to hate

Jackgeelong likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2017

Well, Cats are above you on the ladder, and we are coming fast.

:D

It'll be a very interesting last round and finals series.

Jackgeelong likes this.
  10. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 22, 2017

First time ever going to the GF last year! Was at the top of the stands - excellent view, Doggies supporters next to me were crying with joy once the final siren blew...

20161001_125319.jpg

Jackgeelong likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2017

GF day is full of wankers and celebrities, look how many tickets get given out to the two teams playing!

But I was pleased to see the Doggies get a win for the first time in a million years ;).

Best Aussie rules day is ANZAC Day with Essendon v Collingwood.

Hairs on the back of my neck stuff every time the ceremony starts with nearly 100,000 people standing, hats off, in complete silence.

Jackgeelong and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  12. Jackgeelong Aug 22, 2017

Australia. That was the price from Omega. They said that as it's vintage it may need to be sent to Switzerland for $1300.

13. Jackgeelong Aug 22, 2017

Yes. It is priceless which is why I kept it when I assumed it was a cheap like 50 buck watch and took it to a shop that cuts keys. Hahaha. But I dont have a lot of money so if it was a fake, I'd not bother fixing it up and just keep it in the cupboard BUT as I have a 2 year old son of my own now, I'll fix it and maybe one day he can have it.

14. Jackgeelong Aug 22, 2017

I do have the original bracelet part but it doesn't fit my small wrist properly so I got this one put on before I realised Omega were the makers of such great watches. I love that it is a mechanical watch and doesn't take batteries so I want to wear it.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 22, 2017

I'm glad you folks don't do my estimating for me...I'd go broke in a month...

As Canuck has pointed out, this watch is missing some major parts that are no longer available, so you would have to find them on the open market ($$) or purchase a donor watch ($$) so although I can't say that this should cost $800, it sure as hell isn't going to cost $150. When I see stuff like this alarm bells go off, because that's not usually all that's wrong. Why were these parts removed? They didn't just fall off, so clearly they were removed for a reason...

I know the first reaction for many is to say "Too much!" when seemingly high service numbers are thrown around, but unless you know the full scope of the work required, it's difficult to judge if the number is reasonable or not.

To the OP - find yourself a good independent watchmaker who has good reviews. Don't just take it to anyone, and don't just accept the lowest price.

Cheers, Al

ChrisN, JimInOz, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  16. Jackgeelong Aug 22, 2017

See Jim, I would have trusted you if you didn't admit to going for Bombers. You've really shot yourself in the foot there Mate. Haha. Up the Cats!!
    Which suburb are you in?

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  17. Jackgeelong Aug 22, 2017

The ANZAC game would be awesome. I'd like to get GF tickets one year but as you said, they give too many away. It's just too hard to get a ticket

18. Jackgeelong Aug 22, 2017

Thanks Archer. The 800 is just a standard service through Omega and does not include parts. I think in Australia it's hard to find someone to do the work because firstly they can't get parts and second, from what the guy told me today, they just don't have the skills to fix swiss watches. Where are you located?

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2017

Hi Jack, I'm in Werribee/Hoppers.

Archer is in Canada....eh!

GuiltyBoomerang and Jackgeelong like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 22, 2017

I will admit I didn't even look at the movement that's why I put the $400 without parts bit in.