Forums Latest Members

Anybody ever consigned a vintage watch with Hodinkee?

1. BlueOtter Jan 21, 2020

Hi,

Has anyone on this forum ever consigned a vintage watch with Hodinkee? I know that in most vintage watch forums, Hodinkee is not well liked (because of the very fact that they've had many shady watches for sale in the past), but surely from a consignor's perspective, the experience can't be that terrible? - their watches always trade at a premium, and they items seem to move really quick. I am in no way supporting Hodinkee shop, but am simply curious as to how their consignment process is like, and if there are a lot of hidden costs and fees involved.

Would appreciate it if anybody can share their experiences. Thank you.

thelinendial likes this.
  2. janice&fred Jan 21, 2020

well it sure looks like the experience could be risky for the buyer no?

bubu16 likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 21, 2020

Know a few people that have, will let them come forward.

Have you asked Hodinkee for their terms of business.

4. ryankelly Jan 21, 2020

EDIT - completely misread the OP, which was about consignment and not purchase. Apologies.

Edited Jan 21, 2020
  5. Badwolf Jan 21, 2020

I bet they take a chunky percentage.

6. BlueOtter Jan 21, 2020

There definitely is some risk for the buyer, and that I acknowledge. But then again, they also seem to have a comprehensive no questions asked return policy that runs for about a week - and it looks like that could mitigate the risks, albeit not to the full extent.

On the other hand, what I am curious to know is the consignor's perspective.

7. asrnj77 Jan 22, 2020

Not sure if it’s changed but I believe they take 20% commission so something to consider when selling. I guess in the grand scheme of things eBay takes close to 14% with taxes and if Hodinkee takes your consignment it will sell within a week so might not be all that bad. My understanding is that they’ll only take what they think they can sell so you’d have to contact them first

BlueOtter likes this.
  8. BlueOtter Jan 22, 2020

Doesn't sound like the worst thing to be fair. Most auction houses take a similar commission, with additional costs such as photography.

9. jhross98 Jan 22, 2020

I've sold watches through hodinkee. They are very particular in what they'll take (and its hard to know what they're looking for). If it doesn't sell quickly you get the watch back. But I was very happy with where I ended up. . my general view is you will do better on consignment with good examples of less liquid vintage watches than you will on say an ebay and Hodinkee is amongst the best places to consign (if they'll take your watch)

qboa, BlueOtter, thelinendial and 2 others like this.
  10. thelinendial Jan 22, 2020

Wow! That's surprising that they would mistake authentic watches given what they're supposed to stand for.

11. BlueOtter Jan 22, 2020

Thank you for the insight. It's been very helpful.