Anybody based in the Republic of Ireland? I'm after some tips.

Sometimes, life can use a reboot. In my case, and for reasons that would be a bit too long to explain in that initial post (but I may elaborate on if prompted), I would like to start a new chapter of my life in the Republic of Ireland. Being a EU citizen, I have less hurdles than many to make that move. On the other hand, I'm no longer a young lad, and as a 54 year old married man this means more than just packing up and getting myself small jobs while waiting for the right opportunity.

So if any of our distinguished members is actually based in the Republic of Ireland, I would very much welcome some tips about what it takes to tackle the job market on the island, or simply finding a home there. To give you some background, I am currently working as a regional sales manager (North of France and French-speaking Belgium) for a company selling equipment for a large range of sectors, the largest of which being the food industry. But my professional track record is quite diverse, as I've previously worked in software, railroad maintenance equipment and postal machines. In other words, I have reinvented myself several times and wouldn't mind doing it again.

I realize this is a rather unorthodox request, but you never know what can happen if you don't try...

I ran a project there and still have contacts and family there. I got the following from someone who stayed , will let you know if I get more

feedback…..There seems to be a lot of big food manufacturers there and also pharmaceutical so process based equipment expertises and jobs are important. Data centres are also a thing given the transatlantic cables and the weather, but not always big employers. The roads / travel can be a challenge so depending on work from home opportunities it can be long travel times. The weather is also interesting.

Feedback…..I'd say to him do it. In a heartbeat. The market is buoyant. Plenty of jobs. Pay is excellent in the ROI.
But after lockdown property is an issue. Virtually no rentals in Dublin. Literally under a hundred. And it is expensive to live in the Republic. But once they've got the job they'll be fine. Houses in the centres are are also very expensive to buy.

Some extra feedback…..
The West of Ireland is being kitted out with high-speed fibre optic cables, in Co Roscommon, Sligo and Mayo as part of a government initiative. It will encourage businesses to set up in the West of Ireland. It’s probably part of the transatlantic cabling, via Sligo Town, along the N4 road to Dublin and onwards to Canary Wharf & Europe.I’m not sure if starting with the job is best or the location. May not be critical if he’s mobile, Sometimes it depends on who you know, and not necessarily what you know.

Thank you very much for your replies.

The bit about the West of Ireland is very interesting. Given the housing situation, I would very much like to avoid Dublin and its vicinity for the time being, even if I'm fully aware that the best job opportunities are likely to be there. Once settled, it may be another story, but that's one bit of headache I could do without initially.

That's why places like Cork, Limerick or Galway have my preference. Limerick in particular seems to be developing a lot around biotech firms, so this might be an avenue to explore.

As far as the weather is concerned, I'm not too bothered by the island's climate. I'm used to rain, so I'm not too worried about my ability to withstand whatever Ireland throws at me in that department!

Thank you very much for your replies.

The bit about the West of Ireland is very interesting. Given the housing situation, I would very much like to avoid Dublin and its vicinity for the time being, even if I'm fully aware that the best job opportunities are likely to be there. Once settled, it may be another story, but that's one bit of headache I could do without initially.

That's why places like Cork, Limerick or Galway have my preference. Limerick in particular seems to be developing a lot around biotech firms, so this might be an avenue to explore.

As far as the weather is concerned, I'm not too bothered by the island's climate. I'm used to rain, so I'm not too worried about my ability to withstand whatever Ireland throws at me in that department!

There was a huge Ferrero tik tac plant in Cork. Seemed up and coming. The Italians served a killer coffee as well / no jet lag there.

Hi Pascal,

Wish you the best on your new adventure.
Not got any definite leads but thought it worth mentioning.
Not long ago very nice tech person helped fix my MacOS that bricked itself. They were based in Cork.

Seems Apple are also doing some reinventing.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/bus...quarters are located,over the past five years.

Possibilities could include Construction, Large projects, Hardware and Software work.
Would also be worth mentioning your language skills for:
European sales / Translation / QA and PLAT(PLatform Acceptance Testing) / Support and many others.