Forums Latest Members

Any vintage divers watch experts?

1. AveConscientia Jul 28, 2016

I was wondering things like how the the style came about, average price, common brands, how the movements/cases are different in function, and when the style faded, out I do see new Rolex submariners(saw one at a local record store). I am considering this diver as my first: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142066775802Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Only teen small budget, best wishes Orion.

2. lillatroll Jul 28, 2016

If you google "a history of dive watches" you will get several articles that will give you an overview of this particular type of watch. The watch you are looking at is not a well known brand. I think it is actually a trade name from another company. My feeling is that you are keen to own a vintage watch, it might take a year or so of saving but my advice is to save some money and buy something that you will really enjoy owning.
    I am relatively new to collecting and I know that in the beginning I wanted to buy nearly every watch I looked at, after a while I developed a sense of what types of watches I really like and just focus on those. Hunting for the best examples and learning about them is in many ways the most enjoyable part of this hobby for me, maybe more so than actually owning the watch.

Edited Jul 28, 2016
    aap, AveConscientia, OMGRLX and 3 others like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 28, 2016

That style was fairly common among smaller, and cheaper brands. Here are a couple of similar examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucerne-cal...929758?hash=item2cb008d49e:g:wXAAAOSwNuxXbvKEPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINATGE-196...459814?hash=item4b050fa9e6:g:oCMAAOSwdzVXmSL2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

From a collecting standpoint, even with a limited budget, the main problem with them is that they are not full steel cases. Such cases were/are deeply inferior, and I personally wouldn't even want a well-preserved one.

The movements were ordinary at best, but almost no one buys vintage dive watches for the quality of their movements.

I would seek out relatively inexpensive, but higher quality models, and they do exist. Coincidentally, I have a couple of Gruen that I plan to list for sale soon.

Regards,

Tony C.

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 28, 2016

Style faded out? There are more around today than ever. Take a look at the history of the Blancpain fifty fathoms, Rolex Sub then a few years later Omega Seamaster 300. That will tell you all you need. If you are on a budget, don't ignore Seiko who have been making proper useable dive watches since the 1960s

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 28, 2016

I could write pages on my this. But a Google search is probably better.

Watches first and foremost where tools. Yes dress and fashion watches exist but the history of them is more based around the tool nature. A great start is to look why pocket watches existed but not wrist watches for so long. Then learn about the technology needed to make watches more accurate and why we needed watches to be more accurate. It's all fascinating!!

Getting back to your question, dive watches are tools to time how long you spent underwater. When diving you need to know how long you are under combined with a depth gauge and charts to figure out how much nitrogen is dissolved in your bloodstream. This is important to prevent what is called the bends. All dive watches have a way to do this. Most have a simple rotating bezel that can be used as a simple timer, for safety this normally only rotates in one direction so it fails to a longer time.

Other tool watches like omega speedmasters or Rolex daytonas use an outer fixed bezel that you can use to determine speed or number of items being produced in a factory during x time.

There are multiple other types of tool watches with amazing histories and uses. From slide rules on Navitimers to telemeter scales used by artillery men and submariners to figure out distance based on the speed of sound.

Watches are fun and interesting and I highly suggest heading down the rabbit hole of watches and learning about them.

Your question though is way to broad. You basically said you want a truck can you tell me the history of trucks and what I should get?

If your on a budget a great start into watch collecting is Seiko. They have a rich history, tend to be affordable and parts can still be sourced relatively cheaply if something needs to be fixed.

AveConscientia and OMGRLX like this.
  6. glownyc Jul 28, 2016

Short answer is dive watches were tools designed for the needs of divers. Having things like larger hands that were easier to see under water which could mean the difference between life and death. Things that can be done easier now electronically. For the long answer make a sandwich, grab a drink and do a google search as lillatroll mentioned and we'll see you in about five hours.

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 28, 2016

This was my first thought when I looked at the watch in the listing. The issue you may find yourself in six months from now is you have a random assortment of cheaper old watches, that may prove hard to move sell on (not that everyone buys to sell of course). But you may well kick yourself when you see the bargain vintage Omega that you could have, had you not spent your budget on lesser pieces.
    Having said that I took a closer look at the one in the ebay ad and found there may be a very nice dial and hands under that awful crystal. It may clean up very sweet, but even after US$50 for a new crystal would the watch be worth anything to anyone else?

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 28, 2016

9. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 28, 2016

Nominated for best "newbie" post of the year.

... and the golden squirrel goes to. ...

OMGRLX and lillatroll like this.
  10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 28, 2016

GregH and AveConscientia like this.
  11. D YOUNG Jul 31, 2016

As a first dive watch you cant go wrong with a seiko automatic dive watch. A 7s26 would be a good start.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. AveConscientia Jul 31, 2016

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 31, 2016

Interesting watch 5 atm is 5x33 feet. 165 foot depth rating. Little light for a diving watch. Interesting that it has a tachymetre on it and no really good way to use it.

Neat watch.

14. AveConscientia Aug 1, 2016

Yeah how do you use like that?

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 1, 2016

Short answer you don't. The watch would have been an affordable dive watch in its period meaning it was made to a low price point. The MFG purchased a lot of generic dials for thier watches. Some where most likely chronographs they just used the same dial across different watches. Or they put it on dial when they had it printed to make it appear more expensive.

It's a neat watch but don't get it wet. At that age the seals are most likely shot and I would not take it swimming or in the water.

16. AveConscientia Aug 1, 2016

That's shame you think it was worth 35$? Either way I like how it looks

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 1, 2016

At that price it runs and you like it. Then great deal. A Google search will show similar ones.

AveConscientia likes this.