Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Nov 3, 2015

I'm heading out to Reykjavik in a couple of days with some friends. We're taking in the usual tourist spots but wondered if anyone here has any tips - watch related or otherwise, for things to do and see.

Thanks

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2015

Pack some extra consonants, you'll need them!

Hijak likes this.
  3. Rockmastermike Nov 3, 2015

Dress warm...sorry that's all I have.
    Please post pictures!

4. marturx Nov 3, 2015

Stefan @stefan ought to have some tips. Sounds like he's from Iceland (I know he's in London nowadays) Ursmidur on instagram

5. Maganator Nov 3, 2015

http://www.jswatch.com/

Why don't you take a trip to see these guys? I think you can watch your watch being built if you contact them in advance.

Some lovely pieces.

Traveler likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 3, 2015

Davidt likes this.
  7. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Nov 3, 2015

Tip 1: don't bother packing your farm machinery
    image.jpeg

8. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Nov 3, 2015

It's worth getting out of Reykjavik if you can. We did the Golden Circle tour (via saga travel) which is a half-day trip around the rugged scenery with waterfalls and geysers. We also spent a morning at the Blue Lagoon which is a natural hot springs.
    Be prepared to spend some wedge too, as Iceland isn't cheap, but you won't need cash as everywhere takes card.

Davidt likes this.
  9. Davidt Nov 3, 2015

I came across JS Watch-looks interesting. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of vintage from what I can find though.

I might need all my cash for beer tokens given what I've heard about prices though!

I'll check out Stefans Instagram as well.

Cheers!

10. M.D. Nov 3, 2015

Two words....Super Jeep! Friends were in Iceland earlier this year on holiday and had a blast on a Super Jeep tour.

STANDY likes this.
  11. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 4, 2015

Reykjavik is a cool and compact place. Not much in terms of vintage watches, but a visit to a couple of the watch shops (I think I found two) downtown is not wrong.
    No need to dress up as you will need warm clothes all year. Bring something wind and waterproof (and warm)!
    The Icelandic loves their 4x4 / Jeeps. There are loads of operators offering trips of various duration.
    Enjoy!

12. Scepticalist Nov 4, 2015

Do the usual stuff. Plan your "Northern Lights" tour for as soon as possible because if the weather thwarts you they offer free additional trips until you do see them.
    Blue Lagoon is expensive but admittedly a great experience - they'll often have people there taking your photo for free - you can download it the next day.

If you check Tripadvisor there's a young graduate who offers great walking tours of Reykjavik - he charges nothing, just asks you to pay him what you think the tour is worth at the end. You can find him in the Tourist info office first thing in the morning and the tour starts nearby outside the parliament building.