Forums Latest Members

Any thoughts on this vintage Seamaster?

1. skrubb Nov 11, 2017

Hello everyone. I have always had a soft spot for vintage Seamasters since my late Father used to carry one until he passed in 1982. Also this same no date complication model. So i finally pulled the trigger on this one, as it has been on my mind for a few years now after i got more into watches and horology. It may very well be somewhat restored as it is almost too perfect. At least the acrylic watch glass seems new to me, although it is an original Omega glass i suppose with the very small etched Omega logo in the centre. There is some discolouration on the dial at the 11 and 5 mark. I am not 100% certain on the year of manufacturing, the early 60s with the cal 552? It came on an almost new blue leather strap with the Omega emblem on the outside of the buckle and marked acierinox and stamped with the Omega logo and swissmade on the inside. I do not have much experience with vintage watches, and i have learned vintage watches can be rather tricky to put it that way. This was a purchase purely out of emotion and affection and i jumped on it very quickly. Any thoughts, info and comments would be highly appreciated. Best regards from Norway.

_759670056.jpg _1325657420.jpg _395237848.jpg _1486492037.jpg _1770345867.jpg
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 11, 2017

Nice watch.

She's been lightly polished once or twice and the movement has been disassembled and possibly repaired a time or two.

One of the screw heads is a bit grenaded but otherwise movement looks minty. Rotor was prolly rubbing some...?

I'm told the 552 is a fine movement and I've even a couple myself.

IMG_3848.JPG
    Shailor likes this.
  3. skrubb Nov 12, 2017

Thank you very much for your reply citizenrich. You have indeed a keen eye. As i stated, i have not much knowledge about vintage watches. A repair or two would almost be expected after all these years i suppose? The watch runs very nice. A bit slow, but not much 5-8 sek in 24 hours. And it was supposed to be serviced without i can confirm that. As long as everything looks authentic i am a happy camper. Thanks again for your feedback.

4. Noddyman Nov 12, 2017

I don’t think your watch has had any work done, the dial, hands and crown all look original to me. Slightly polished yes and minor degradation on the dial but overall a lovely looking watch. I like these a lot and they are great value for such a quality vintage watch. Going off the movement serial no. it dates to 1962.
    Enjoy!!

5. skrubb Nov 12, 2017

Thank you very much for your input Noddyman. Then i can put a year on it which are info nice to know Best regards.