Forums Latest Members

Any thoughts on these 2 to fit my desire for an everyday Omega?

1. imt58 Jul 13, 2012

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 13, 2012

Here are my thoughts:

1. From what I can tell, both watches look to be all original. I kind of like the textured dial a bit better, but otherwise they seem to be the same to me.

2. By the late 1970's, Omega was in some degree of disarray financially. This can be seen in the construction of the movements, which just weren't as robust as some of the earlier automatics (cal. 50X and 56x). About this time, they began switching over from in-house to ETA made movements.

3. Since you are looking for something that may be worn on an everyday basis after a preventative serivce, I would stick with watches a bit older than these. They were just made a bit better. That is unless there is something about the style of these particular watches that appeals to you.

IMO, the glory days for Omega were from about 1948 through 1969,
    gatorcpa

3. imt58 Jul 13, 2012

Thank you, I really appreciate that advice.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 13, 2012

I would probably stretch that time period to maybe 1938 to include the legendary manual wind chronometres that won all those chronometre competitions for omega and I think really put the name on the map so to speak. Though omega made significant strides even earlier - chronometre grade pocket watches, the omega marine, the cal. 33.3 chronograph, the olympic split seconds timer (official timekeeper of the 1932 olympics) etc.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 13, 2012

I should have qualified my statement by adding "automatic movements". I wasn't thinking about the manual winds, as imt58 was looking only at automatics.

You're absolutely correct of course,
    gatorcpa