Forums Latest Members

Any thoughts on the new UG ten book released today?

1. keywerd Apr 6, 2019

As the title says, any thoughts on the new UG ten book today? I'm not sure its appropriate to link to it but I assume if you all follow the usual suspects that you would easily find it. I think it'll be a nice birthday present to myself just from the nice pictures, but wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it in terms of it being useful reference material similar to Sala...

2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 7, 2019

Edited Apr 7, 2019
    frederico, Baz9614 and durri70 like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 7, 2019

I think it’s great that this series has its own book. Now would I own it? Probably not since prices have gone into silly territory.

aap likes this.
  4. bgrisso Apr 7, 2019

Looks nice if I had a few hundred $ laying around, but with such a narrow focus on mid to late 60s, as Larry said, kinda missed the boat on those years, so not really looking for a detailed reference.....

10H10 likes this.
  5. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 8, 2019

Unfortunately, this is what it cost to publish a book that has such a small audience. It's not like it has a chance for the best sellers list.

I ordered one, looking forward to it

6. UGNewbie Apr 8, 2019

Our thanks Cajun Tiger and we hope you love it :) You are indeed correct, trust me the hours we have put into this book, after splitting the profit and paying tax the motivation is definitely not the money! However watches have been good to me and I really enjoy each project, because I only do research on watches I love, and then to see pictures of PG's quality (which are not generally available elsewhere to his standard) is the icing on the cake. Receiving that first book, and seeing people buy and like them, then use them as reference tools is great too. But I'd also be very happy to see someone else do a project and to just pay the money for the book ;)

queriver, khmt2, starcraft and 3 others like this.
  7. bgrisso Apr 8, 2019

Just to be clear, when Larry says prices have gone into silly territory, I believe he is talking about the UG watches in the book, not the book pricing itself. I don't think anyone questions the hard work and necessarily high price of these very specialized small run books. The time and effort is appreciated, it's just as I said, for myself, I can only afford these type of reference books for watches I am actively collecting....

Jonatan, sxl2004, sdre and 4 others like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 8, 2019

Just to be clear as @bgrisso says, I refer to prices of the Watches not the book.

starcraft and UGNewbie like this.
  9. Mazoue Apr 10, 2019

My copy is on order and I hugely look forward to reading it. I understand that you focused on your favourite ten models from the period in question. How much consideration did you give to extending your coverage beyond the 'ten' to include, for example, the Space Compax, the late aero-compax models or the jumbo 22703 and 22704 references? Or were there just too many to include them all?

I should add that I'm only playing devil's advocate and don't wish to take anything away from what is an amazing accomplishment.

I shall hold you to that when I get round to writing a Polerouter book in my retirement :)

sdre and UGNewbie like this.
  10. UGNewbie Apr 10, 2019

A big thanks from myself and Paul for the support :) My motivation for wanting to research any group of watches is that I love them first of all and there are not many watches that I think that about. That’s how the three Heuer books came about, and the idea for the UG book started after I started my UG collection inspired in part by Pauls Big Eye and Nina etc. I’m not personally a big fan of the 1950s chronographs by any brand and I’m also not a fan of the Space Compax (tried and didn’t bond with them) and although I think the Aero Compax is fine, i’m also no longer a fan of watches over 40mm. My tastes have changed over the years, and I now like my watches to be unobtrusive on my wrist... For me the Compax, Tri Compax and Uni Compax from this period are the equal of my other favourite chronographs, and a little different so they add something new to the collection. Although only ten watches compared to the many more models in the Autavia and Carrera books, it actually makes a satisfying series. So the phrase “buy what you love” also extends to “research what you love”, hence why I ended up with the “Ten” featured. Additionally whilst researching them I actually found that there was plenty of method used by Universal Geneve, dating features of parts, serials of references etc which was very satisfying. In some regards it’s more straightforward than on some of the Heuers where there are many more dial variations and far more later constructed watches which means some of the serial information is harder to work through and will always be less definitive and wider because of it, despite having a huge amount of Autavia and Carrera data.

Look forward to your Polerouter book, i’m not a “time only” watch fan, otherwise I’d help ;)

inchpincher, vord, billving and 2 others like this.
  11. Xeer Apr 10, 2019

Could you share which Ten UG references did you choose to feature?

12. Dr. Green Apr 10, 2019

Look at the link above and you’ll see on the back cover of the book, which 10 models are featured.

13. Mazoue Apr 10, 2019

I think this fantastic image from Richard's instagram account sums it up pretty well.

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 19.31.44.png

Diabolik, billving, Florent and 6 others like this.
  14. Dr. Green Apr 10, 2019

Yep that’s the back of the book cover.

15. Xeer Apr 10, 2019

Grails, grails everywhere!!

16. starcraft Apr 11, 2019

Wonderful job. I hope you sell all your copies you printed.

17. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 11, 2019

What is his insta?

18. Mazoue Apr 11, 2019

@heuervintage

Mark020 likes this.
  19. Florent Apr 11, 2019

Will order mine soon. Thanks for the work! :)

UGNewbie likes this.
  20. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 15, 2019

Mine arrived today, and appropriately I was wearing the right watch.

IMG_5157.JPG
    WilyB, inchpincher, Woops and 8 others like this.