Forums Latest Members

Any thoughts on my dead megasonic?

1. hotrod heath Jul 25, 2014

Apologies for reposting in this forum, I could not work out how to move this from the watch review forum I posted to in error.

Hi all,

I would like to canvas opinion and perhaps ask for watch repairer recommendations should you happen to agree with me that I think I should replace the mechanism of my Omega Megasonic 720Hz.

The background to this story is that my fathers 1970 f720 has not worked for a long time and following recommendations from this forum i sent it to the excellent Paul Wirdnham at Electric Watches who has confirmed that the movement is toast. He suggested replacing it with an f300 to keep some of the authenticity.

Personally I want to wear the watch again and I want it to be reliable and last the test of time. The f300 replacement may work for a decade, a year or only a day. I don't want to throw money at something that I will always be wondering if it is going to break.

I will never sell the watch because of the family ties so maintaining the monetary value is not of interest to me. My thoughts are to replace the movement with something quartz, preferably omega. I have been informed that it is all about the size of the movement and fitting it into the watch. There is a date wheel to complicate things also. I believe the likelihood of finding a movement that fits perfectly is low so some amount of fettering will be required.......

Do you agree i should rip out the heart watch so it can be splendid again and used, or leave it complete to languish broken and sad in the bottom of my desk drawer? Who do you think is the best qualified (and perhaps most competitively priced) to perform the mechanical heart transplant?

I eagerly await your responses.

James

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 25, 2014

Since it is an heirloom, and you want to keep it... I would look for another Megasonic just like it, with a working movement, to use for a donor. It may take some patience, but a good movement can be found and transplanted to your watch.

As for putting a modern movement in there, I'll leave that to the watchmaking experts. You should know that even current movement can have issues, and you won't necessarily get any more years of use out of it than with a vintage one.

Either way, good luck with the restoration! It is always nice to see someone looking for a way to keep a watch in the family rather than sell it off for a quick buck or two. :)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2014

I'd go the F300 swap as its at least close enough and still will have the smooth sweep of a hummer

4. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2014

Batteries. :mad:

Fritz likes this.
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 25, 2014

Could you pick up a tatty but working one on eBay and have that movement serviced and swapped over?

6. dragoman Jul 27, 2014

There's a Dutch guy on ebay who sells new f-300 movements, some 110 $ for day dates and quite a bit more for date only.

7. rogart ray it again, Ram. Dec 16, 2014

The F300 movement is a Eta or Esa 9162 and if that it your watch their must be a Eta quartz movement that you could get made to fit also . I have an old f 300 movement at home . I could check if their is any other movement that would fit in your watch .

8. rogart ray it again, Ram. Dec 16, 2014

9. hotrod heath Dec 22, 2014

Hi Rogart,

Thanks for the replies. I see the ETA movement is the same diameter however I am assuming the reduction in depth will mean that the crown shaft on the movement will not line up with the hole in the case. What are your thoughts? Would love to find a movement which would fit.

Anyone else with any ideas for a f720 movement replacement?

Thanks

James

10. rogart ray it again, Ram. Dec 22, 2014

Hi James
    If you look on the f300 movement http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Omega_1250.In the Data their is a value called T= 1,9 mm .That is the measure from the top to the center of the stem . You need to find a movement with the same T-Value . Could be hard but could be done . Maybe then the dial feets won't be the same . So you have to take them off and put the dial on with dialspots . A lot of work but can be done .