Forums Latest Members
  1. Honza Oct 27, 2017

Hi!

Was curious how many might be playing tennis? I have been playing for over 28years and still having a great time playing. If any tennis player comes to Honolulu let me know and we can go hit and talk watches.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 27, 2017

Dropped tennis for pickleball. Big tournament this weekend in Hartford, CT. :thumbsup:

3. adi4 Oct 27, 2017

I used to, but rarely get the time these days. Plus a case of recurring tennis elbow prevents me from playing too often, probably from slightly bad form on the forehand when I was younger.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 28, 2017

Played 6 hours so far this week and will play another 2 tomorrow, so yes I play quite a bit. Keeps me active as my day job is quite sedentary.

As for playing on Honolulu, my wife and I did that a while back - pretty nice scenery for a hit I must say...

[​IMG]

Had fun even though we didn't bring our own rackets, so were stuck using crappy hotel rackets. If we get back there I'll let you know. We did drop by a park there that had clinics going on, but we were pressed for time that day so we only played at the hotel.

It is getting to be a very big sport here. Our local tennis courts were in rough shape so last fall they bulldozed them all and rebuilt 8 courts (hardcourt) and in addition built 8 pickleball courts. The pickleball courts are almost always busy when we go to play tennis, and it's very popular with seniors, as there's a lot less moving around for people who have mobility issues. At our indoor club they are considering adding lines for pickleball on a couple of the courts...

Being a former squash player, it took me a few years to get out of hitting squash style shots on the tennis court. In that transition I had issues with my elbow as well, but getting the grip right (using a modern grip) and hitting the ball out front and on the rise helped immensely, and I have zero issues with the elbow now.

Cheers, Al

blufinz52 likes this.
  5. Honza Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, tennis elbow is a pain. Fortunately for me, I did not have any problem with my elbow but my shoulder.
    Yeah, pickleball is getting very popular here as well. I see that you play squash,if you come let me know and we can do a double hitting session, Squash in AM and Tennis in PM;) Matter of fact I am organizing a squash tournament this weekend. The funny things is that I used to play a a lot of tennis and pick up squash later. You could teach me some squash skills.

Glad you had a great time in Honolulu.

6. makaria indica Oct 28, 2017

My wife is an Australian professional tennis coach member, and club captain, I thought someone asked if I wanted a Rum at the AGM and put my hand up........ Which saw me being made club president. We manage to rip the fluff of a few balls at least twice a week.
    We make a point of taking a racket each, when ever we go on holiday. after having a hit in Berlin at my wifes old club, we stopped of on the way home at Perth in Janurary and managed to get some court side seats on the service line to watch this bloke.....

IMG_8290.JPG

Honza likes this.