Forums Latest Members

Any Suggestions on buying your first Omega?

1. vandy115 Aug 13, 2016

Looking to buy an Omega. Any suggestions on which one or style?

Thank you

2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 13, 2016

... the style you need / like most?

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 13, 2016

What ever you chose, buy from the forums here... safer than ebay!

Taddyangle likes this.
  4. gostang9 Aug 13, 2016

A watch is a very personal object. You should research available models on the Omega website, define for yourself what you're looking forward and what you find attractive, then search the sales section of this forum for similar/same models (there is a section for frequent sellers and another for private sellers who sell infrequently).

Options:
    Chronograph - these offer typically 2 or 3 subdials with a stopwatch function. The most popular model is the Speedmaster Professional (aka: Moonwatch). Quality used models can be found starting from ~$2500 USD with late model/new available starting around $3500 from 'grey market' dealers. Rare vintage models can go for $15,000 plus.

Diver/water - many options from Aqua Tera (AT) to Seamaster to Planet Ocean. You have to find what speaks to you.

Dress/formal - many wear the above models for these situations, but here you can find other models like Constellation and Railmasters.

There is no way anyone else can tell you what watch is right for you.

First - you have to decide what purpose you want the watch to serve (i.e.: what kind of complications or movement do you want or need)

Second - you need to determine if you want new, slightly used or vintage. There are people on this forum with preferences running all over the place, there is no right or wrong answer.

Third - and maybe first, but you have to decide what your budget is. Once you know how much you can (or are willing to) spend, then you need to go through options above and find what speaks to you.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gregonmac, vandy115 and Foo2rama like this.
  5. vandy115 Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the great response!

6. gostang9 Aug 13, 2016

You are most welcome! Oh, one final thing, don't be in any rush. Enjoy the thrill of the hunt... Doing the research should be fun. You can spend hours, weeks, months on finding a watch to enjoy. There's no reason to rush out immediately. These luxury time pieces can be a considerable amount of disposable income and so make sure you find one that will give you a lot of satisfaction for a long time. Many of us don't stop at just one watch, by if you're reaching out for advice on "your first Omega", then it sounds to me like this is a big deal for you. Every watch I've purchased was researched for some time. While doing so, I learned a lot not only about the piece I eventually acquired, but also about the many other alternatives I did not. For me, this knowledge gathering is a lot of fun in and of itself, and when I finally purchase each watch, it makes me appreciate it even more.

Oh, and when you do decide and make your first purchase, please post pictures so we can share in your experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaun hk and vandy115 like this.