Forums Latest Members

Any Scale Ship Modelers About?

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 2, 2017

Great post and incredible work. Reminded me that I have this that I have never read. Must get around to it soon.

IMG_3346.JPG

2. olgito Aug 2, 2017

God, these are all so great!

How long usually one takes to be completed?

Do you sell them or making these for your collection?

Respect.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 2, 2017

citizenrich likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 2, 2017

Well if you need inspiration, have a look at the builder's 1:50 model of the Bismark at Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg. I think it's still there, at least it was about fifteen years ago.

sxl2004 likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 2, 2017

Two good reasons to visit Hamburg :D.

Found this on the web.

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 12.07.04 PM.png

Duracuir1, Longbow and sxl2004 like this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 2, 2017

yes that is the place!
    IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2583.JPG

Longbow, Riviera Paradise and sxl2004 like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 2, 2017

Getting one built soon in a larger scale and budget. ( damn 12 month waiting lists )

Was at the wooden boat festival in Hobart early on in the year and some lovely lovely boats and models. The detail in the models was quiet amazing.

image.jpeg

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 2, 2017

Sails or oars?

And don't say an outboard!

(Unless it's a 1950s Seagull).

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 2, 2017

Oars if he ever starts the boats in front of mine. (no rush really)

You know me fly down, row back ;)

sxl2004 likes this.
  10. wkimmd Aug 2, 2017

Yowza! Amazing. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of when I used to built scale airplanes with my brother when I was a kid (of course those were from kits).

11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 2, 2017

Where do you acquire your kits and do you have recommendations for sites to learn the basics on how to paint models?

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Aug 3, 2017

THAT, Sir, is museum quality. Thank you for showing this. Impressing!

I built models for a while many years ago and competed somewhat successfully at shows (automotive). I am going to take it up again when I retire. But this time it will be boats instead of cars. I do have something to prove as my grandfather was a boatbuilder and both my brothers compete in scale boat modelling. One of them placing top three in the Nordic Championships. The boats are not static display models and they compete in both build quality, accuracy to original 1/1 - and driving them - the different diciplines giving points. At that competition he got a full score on the driving but the judges took off some points for his accuracy. Not that it was much wrong with it but because the boat he had chosen to build never existed in 1/1 scale - but was his own invention. He scratchbuilds and take pride in building the boats in the same manner and material as they would have been in 1/1.

He is into traditional Scandinavian/Nordic fishing trawlers. Deep. Here is a Danish one he did in 1/25 scale. All lights, doors, hatches and machinery works. It also has a sound generator with a loudspeaker hidden in the cargo bay - engine sound correlating with engine/boat speed.

[​IMG]

And a Swedish west coast trawler in 1/32. This pic shows when he restored his own work after some years and where the oak planking and copper rivets can be seen. Normally it has a white hull.

[​IMG]

The first project I am going for as retired is a kit (I have to start somewhere) of the Cousteau Calypso (of course).

Edited Aug 3, 2017
    Duracuir1, Longbow and Vitezi like this.
  13. speedbird Aug 4, 2017

Thanks guys,

The ships take a month or two each, depending on the scale, complexity, and the amount of scrstcbuilding I have to do.

I only sell them if I'm commissioned by a company or museum. I don't usually do commissions for individuals because they all have it in their heads that a nice ship mode should cost around $250, so I don't even engage. I just politely decline.

I'm familiar with the Bismarck builders model. It's gorgeous. I'm glad it survived the war because a lot of KM items didn't, especially when you consider how hard B+V was bombed during the war.

Here is a fun little thing I've been working on, a 1/1250 scratch built model of S/Y Endurance inside of a pocket watch case. Being a watch forum, I thought this might be of special interest

Edited Jul 9, 2019
    yako54, JimInOz, Alpha and 1 other person like this.
  14. speedbird Sep 21, 2017

Latest completed build.

German Kriegsmarine Sperrbrecher 13, 1943

1/700 scale

Edited Jul 9, 2019
    Trev, Gaz6263, Spruce and 3 others like this.
  15. sxl2004 Sep 21, 2017

Beautiful!
    But why Speerbrecher 13?
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    ;)

16. speedbird Sep 21, 2017

Why was she built or why did I choose to model this particular ship?

SB13 was used for for clearing minefields in the North Sea using an artificially large magnetic field generated around the ship. SB13 was the Battleship Bismarck’s minesweeper during the beginning of Exercise Rhine.

I chose to model this perticilar ship because the lesser German ships tend to be missed historically. That and using a less-than-proven method for clearing mines made 13 and her sisters floating roulette wheels of death. I’m a sucker for bad ideas and solutions to problems that don’t exist

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  17. sxl2004 Sep 21, 2017

Thanks, I was wondering about your reasoning. I like your choice of lesser known ships as some history will be preserved.
    :)

18. speedbird Sep 21, 2017

I build things I find interesting or something I want to learn more about.

19. sxl2004 Sep 21, 2017

Sounds like fun!
    The Kriegsmarine is full of interesting stuff, some of the most advanced ships with no real plan ( and not enough ships) on how to use them ( sic Tirpitz!).

20. sdre Sep 21, 2017

I don't do ships but i do some model painting with miniatures. Like Star Wars Imperial Assault , X wing Miniatures and Warhammer