Forums Latest Members

Any recommendations for service people who are good at lume stabilization?

1. jshaw083 Feb 19, 2019

Have an old Lecoultre. Looking to get the lume stablized (which I am told is a thing). Just afraid the lume will break/crack. My favorite part of the watch is the lume!

Any recommendations? I am located in Canada but could ship internationally if required...

Thank you again OF,
    -J.

2. TimtimeIntl Feb 19, 2019

I've never heard of it but would be interested in how it is done. Especially without damaging what it there or altering how it looks. Anyone know what they do or use? Thx in advance.

3. ASJ Feb 19, 2019

You can drop James Hyman a message and discuss with him.
    He is one of the best in the world and known for his works on lumes.
    James Hyman - http://db10straps.tumblr.com/

Dreamboat10 likes this.
  4. wsfarrell Feb 19, 2019

People use a varnish like thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. In Los Angeles, LA Watch Works is known for their hands color-matching and stabilization.

5. Braindrain Feb 19, 2019

Where in Canada are you? Norbert (German watchmaker) in Vancouver did a good job with mine.

6. Dan S Feb 19, 2019

Yes, on the back of the hands. My watchmaker does this routinely if I request it. Maybe the OP can just ask the watchmakers that he works with regularly.

7. TimtimeIntl Feb 19, 2019

Ahh, I thought you meant the lume on the dial. Lacquer is the base binder used when you mix up luminous powder to refinish hands and markers. Doubt would secure crusty lume on dial from top and still look good but would work on hands from behind with care not to break what is already there. That I have done. And I learned the hard way it is lacquer because when I tried acetone to thin some old binder it did not work and a more knowledgeable friend told me to use lacquer thinner.

8. hungdangnguyen23 Feb 19, 2019

For sake of discussion, would any of you consider this to be "redialing" or "repainting" a vintage watch? That is, 3rd party modifications to the watch that don't actually add anything aesthetically to the dial but work instead to preserve the originality of the dial itself.

9. TimtimeIntl Feb 19, 2019

Tough call. Cementing the luminous from back of hands, probably not. Reapplying lume to dial or hands, probably yes, but there are varying levels of skill to match color and shape of original. The pendulum seems to have swung to more, "don't touch it". But if it is really unstable or terrible looking; restoration (on a modest scale) sure would look better. Next thread will be: Is it ok to detail that old stretch link bracelet but not the watch case....:)

10. jshaw083 Feb 21, 2019

in Ottawa, although I would definitely consider shipping it. I haven't asked my own watchmaker yet whether he actually does this work (just assumed he didn't). But I'll consider asking now for sure! I'll also look into LA Watchworks!

Thank you guys!
    -J.

11. Renton Feb 21, 2019

Absolutely recommend James Hyman. I have engaged him prior and his service and communication is perfect. Quite fast lead time as well.

Dreamboat10 likes this.
  12. merchandiser Feb 21, 2019

I have been told that super glue applied to the back of the hands does a good job at stabilizing lume.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 22, 2019

I would not recommend using superglue. Cyanoacrylates can cause fogging of acrylic crystals as they cure...

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  14. river rat Feb 22, 2019

Here is my Hanhart 417 when I had it serviced the watchmaker used super glue under the hands to stabilize the lume no fogging happened and it does have a acrylic crystal. Had it serviced about 4 years ago.
    [​IMG]

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 22, 2019

"Can" not "will". If you want to use it, go right ahead, but I would not recommend it. The fumes from this type of glue are even used to develop latent fingerprints, so those are not fumes I would want inside my watch personally. The best and safest material for stabilizing lume is the same binder that the lume powder is mixed with initially.

whyboddau, levkov and Dreamboat10 like this.