Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

I wouldn't do it, its impossible for a book to tell you what watches are worth, unless you're talking modern mint condition watches, condition, type and quality of patina, originality, polishing, etc all come into it. The guys here, with varying opinions can give a far better guide by far.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

That and other books like that are of no practical use whatsoever. The best way is to keep a current database of these sales from various auctions but these don't really exist - at least not in public.

4. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

Thanks Dsio,

Can you recommend anything regarding learning about basic maintainance/servicing your watches?

Also need to find something with picture references, mainly omega of various models but don't (at the moment) want to fork out for the Omega Journey through time book..

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Have you read all of Desmond's website? That's your first step

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

The problem with the auctions I've found is its estimated..and I rarely see watches like we have on this forum..I'm not saying they don't exist however! But I think the UK's more obscure models are few and far between..for some reason.

7. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

Fried's "The Watch Repairer's Manual" or DeCarle's "Practical Watch Repair" might help.

Dablitzer likes this.
  8. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

I need to. I've scanned through quite a bit. It sometimes hurts my head with all this re-dialling etc... :-S

9. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

Keep track of eBay closed listings, either in your head, on paper, or create a spreadsheet.

Part of the learning process. Eventually you'll gain the experience to know a redial. There is no singular guide to Omega.

10. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

What qualifications do I need for such books? ;)

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Short of A Journey Through Time, reading all of the gospel according to Desmond is better than any other book available. Start on the website and don't stop until you've absorbed ever one of his .pdf essays: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com.au/

12. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

A credit card and an Amazon account. :p

Dablitzer likes this.
  13. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

Do you find eBay to be 'fair'? I've seen some watches go almost 100% on top of some people's estimates in sales forums..I guess you have to trust them when they say it was 'just serviced' and there is always going to be some risk involved..when buying and selling on there..+they must consider the overheads. PayPal/eBay fees are getting extortionate..in my eyes..but then there is nothing else with such a vast range of examples, so it's swings and roundabouts.

14. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

Oh good, I've graduated. So it's fine! ;)

15. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

Incidentally I'm off to an auction next week. Auctioning some of my partners jewellery..she's amassed quite a collection and wants to downsize a little..there will be a serious chance i'll come across something nice...I hope not as I need to hold back...!!! Patience,Patience,patience..

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

DaB - there is no substitute for climbing the learning curve yourself. It takes time, patience, and discipline. Not even money is a substitute for experience. Because it is a fluid market, anything in print is out of date the moment it comes off the press. The best source is the interwebs, even with all of its problems. Education lies in looking at examples over and over, in reading critiques and debates on the fora, and in handling as many pieces as you can (auction previews are particularly useful here). And even experts are wrong as the market changes. Be prepared to make mistakes along the way.

I can certainly add a prop for DeCarle for watch repair books.

Ray916MN and Dablitzer like this.
  17. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

If you remove shill bidding and then average out several closed listings, then yes. It's the perfect example of the market setting the price.

For pristine examples it's believable. Also, you need to see if the watch gets relisted even though it "sold". Happens more often than you think. We've seen it happen a few times with listings posted here.

No, exactly the opposite - trust that it wasn't serviced. I doubt half of watch sellers on eBay even know what the term means.

That's why you ask the Google if that watch is available elsewhere. Many times the seller has their own website and you can buy it there for less since most will account for the eBay fees and inflate the price to cover them.

Correct. It's not a perfect system, but it works if you're not naive and take appropriate precautions.

Ray916MN and Dablitzer like this.
  18. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

I've been naive a fair bit as I've only really been collecting since last January. I got stung with a fake blue dial omega (because I just got the ooh, so shiny..) fever..And prior to that a black cross-hair dial omega Seamaster from ocwatch on eBay who apparently is famous for re-dials...Doesn't take a scientist to work out how they manage to sell their watches looking like they just came out of the factory to the poor unassuming buyer. But then, I realised afterwards that some people like the 'flashy' looking re-dials and there is a little cult going around..I managed to re-cycle the examples back through eBay though. At the end of the day it's a business.

19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

...and whatever money was lost is not wasted - it's tuition.

Dablitzer likes this.
  20. Dablitzer Jan 5, 2013

Thanks LouS - I think you're right. I've definitely made some mistakes in a short time. I'm willing to learn, I just need the guidance to the correct resources. The problem is, people just tell you what you want to hear nowadays..it's a manipulation thing. I just want to get good honest pieces, flip a few along the way, and be proud of a nice collection that will hopefully be a nice heir loom to pass on to the kid(s) notice I start singular..middle age is creeping up way too fast..! ;)