Forums Latest Members

Any recommendations for more affordable 'Concept Watches'?

1. guaranteed.rohu Apr 5, 2021

Hi OF,

I was looking for some recommendations, preferably more affordable alternatives, for what I think would be called 'concept watches'? Watches that may have some or all of these characteristics:

- made in 'non-traditional' non-metal materials (i.e. synthetic)
    - on rubber/silicon straps
    - 'non-traditional' in movement construction
    - quite often open-worked-dials.

I personally really like the aesthetic of the AP concept watches, as well as:

- many of the De Bethune watches
    - Ulysses Nardin Freak
    - JLC Extreme Lab
    - I'm not a huge of the Frank Muller and Richard Millle Tonneau shaped pieces
    - Not a huge fan of Hublot in general

Does anyone have any experience with anything else similar? Some of the pieces I've listed above are just completely out of my price range, looking for something in the $10-20k ish range? I know seven friday is probably a good affordable comparison, but I was looking for something more high end, and also I know some of the entry level UN Freaks are actually cheaper now!

Thanks, some photos below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spruce likes this.
  2. timjohn Apr 5, 2021

Singer or Ressence both have a different take

guaranteed.rohu and timoss like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 5, 2021

You might have a look at RGM 801 Skeleton. It’s a grand over your top and you can customize since it’s made to order.

guaranteed.rohu likes this.
  4. ChetBaker Apr 8, 2021

Look at the JLC Amvox line. Some of them have similar looks to the Extreme Lab. Or something like a Zenith 21.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2021

One of my mates has a platinum Monaco V4 by TAG Heuer, belt drive watch with linear “rotor”. Absolutely incredible concept watch and he daily wears it, the cost was less than the street price of a stainless Daytona, that’s how much the original owner took a bath on it.

It’s very accurate, reliable and TAG Heuer for whatever reason charge regular servicing rates on it, presumably they get so few of them that they don’t mind subsidizing them given they’re a halo product.

Here’s a link to the actual watch featured on Calibre11:

https://www.calibre11.com/collectors-corner-tag-heuer-monaco-v4-platinum-daily-wearer/