Forums Latest Members

Any recommandation for buying watches in the Dubai / Abu Dhabi area?

1. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Nov 7, 2016

While tanning my pale german skin, I dreaming of getting me a nice holiday watch to take home.
    ( By the way I feel that my wife seems to know what I am dreaming of ! )

That leads me to this thread.
    You guys living in this area or members that spent time here can you provide a reliable and trustworthy AD or juweler where I would love to spent some money.
    Honestly I am looking for my first Rolex ( that is a fact my wife doesn't know )

Thank you in advance. Dear mods in case I chose the wrong forum, then feel free to move this thread to the right place.

2. Moppel Nov 7, 2016

You thought about the import duties/tax, didn't you?
    Regards from another pale German skin :)
    Cheers
    Thomas

Longbow and watchme like this.
  3. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Nov 7, 2016

Well, no tax in Abu Dhabi. So I could buy tax free and might pay tax at the airport!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

4. Moppel Nov 7, 2016

And what if you cross the German border? Then you can add another 19% to the original price.
    I am not trying to spoil a possible purchase. Just trying to safe you from surprises.
    And if you should ever want to sell a watch with an LC Abu Dhabi people will insist on seeing proper import documents ;)

Cheers
    Thomas

Longbow likes this.
  5. lillatroll Nov 7, 2016

Aside from the possible stop at the airport you can go to any AD in the Middle East and get a good price on watches. In the omega AD I was offered several watches at around ticket prices less 20% Where you might or might not save extra money is on the exchange rate working in your favour. Airports, even in Europe, usually have very good prices if they have the model you want

Edited Nov 7, 2016
    watchme likes this.
  6. akshayluc420 Nov 7, 2016

Hi Watchme, i'm in Dubai too!

If you're looking for 'pre-loved' timepieces, these guys are in DIFC, Dubai: http://momentum-dubai.com/

Else, you have the local dealers in Abu Dhabi/Dubai. If you're looking for Omega, Rivoli is your best bet; they operate the Omega Boutiques as well.

watchme and demollo like this.
  7. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Nov 7, 2016

I am fine with your reply. If I can get what I am looking for, I will be pleased to pay the tax at the border. Quit risky to walk the green way with me being a coward /Angsthase. I my case I am thinking on a buy.

Bye

Jens

8. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Nov 7, 2016

Thank you for reply. Concerning Omegas I choose an AD in Germany. I save more than 20% there.
    I never tried buying at airports because of not being a frequent traveler.

9. lillatroll Nov 7, 2016

I
    I bought a sm300 co axial at a boutique, I got 600 pound tax free rebate because I was living in Kuwait. The same watch was 60 pounds cheaper than what I paid including the tax refund. So might be worth checking out.

watchme likes this.
  10. trackpad Nov 7, 2016

Regarding tax, if you are taking home something vintage, and you are wearing it... I can't imagine you would have any issues. If it's a new watch and you want to wear your watch out of the country, but want to have your empty boxes and papers shipped to you in Germany, I'd be willing to drop it off for you at UPS or FedEx a few weeks later. Not sure how customs will react to seeing your empty boxes, but people buy empty watch boxes...it's a thing people do. Should be fine.

I would second @akshayluc420's recommendation of momentum in DIFC...an area which contains some nice bars and restaurants, should you need a place to park your wife while you sneak off for a look (see Cafe Belge...best Friday brunch in Dubai IMO). Tariq, co-owner is a nice chap and he really knows his vintage Rolex. He always has something nice to look at. But be aware there are no "barn finds" here...far from it. Expect 10-25% above normal vintage retail. The Rent in DIFC isn't cheap, and he is the only vintage game in town.

There is a Rivoli in the same complex, for newer Omega and other brands. But there are Rivoli's in every mall and retail area in Dubai. Nothing particularly compelling about this one.

I was in Rolex @ Mall of the Emirates a few weeks ago...just pretending to consider a Datejust for my wife. Unless I misunderstood, she seemed to quickly take 25.000 AED off the asking price of the model we were discussing, ...so I think you can also make deals on a new Rolex...apparently? In any case, surely cheaper than in Germany if you are intent on purchasing new.

Incidentally, the Rolex store in MoE is a few doors down from Dubai's only (and newly opened) Apple Store, if you're into that...just be aware any iPad or iPhone you buy here will be without Facetime. Forever!

If you go to MoE for whatever reason, eat lunch at Common Grounds and get the Prawn Tacos...or just a nice cup of coffee.

Enjoy your trip!

watchme likes this.