Forums Latest Members

Any Reason To NOT Buy A Pelagos?

1. vbrad26 Jan 21, 2019

None of my other watches are really that fond of water.
    And I like the idea of having a watch that can tolerate it.
    I know I want something with at least a blue bezel, or blue, dial, or both.
    Which led me to the blue Pelagos...

[​IMG]

(I have also considered the Black Bay with the dark blue bezel, but I'm not sold.)
    From the bit of research I've done, it seems like a great watch for a number of reasons.
    The only thing that I think may be a deal breaker is the size.
    Luckily, there is an AD not too far from me, but I don't know when I'll be able to make it out there to check it out.
    So in the meantime, is there any reason I should consider something else?
    I am open to suggestions, again, for a blue dive watch...and no I don't want a Seamaster or a PO.
    And I'm also in no hurry to pull the trigger as there are so many other things I should be doing this year other than buying another watch and I'd honestly probably just wait till I could find a gently used one pop up.

2. BenBagbag Jan 21, 2019

I feel like it's important to see Tudors in person. To me, the finishing is a bit dull and I was surprised by most dials being matte finished. Just doesn't pop like a gloss dial. Not sure about the Pelagos but definitely have noticed it on a few of their other watches.

sdre, Lonestar, gdupree and 3 others like this.
  3. Mongooseman Jan 21, 2019

It is a stunningly good piece, and for the money...frankly I've had a few pauses lately as to whether I should have got the Pelagos over my 2018 300m Diver. All titanium, comes with extra straps, expanding clasp...what's not to like? Go for it.

vbrad26 likes this.
  4. borre Jan 21, 2019

I also tried the Pelagos before ending up with the new SMP.
    The Pelagos wears big, and is thick. The design of the dial is a bit too simplistic to me. What bothered me a lot was the clasp... although very functional it looks terrible.

In the end, it is a very good watch, but not for me.... If YOU like the design you can't go wrong with the Pelagos.

Can I ask why you don't consider the new SMP or PO?

Lonestar, Paedipod and vbrad26 like this.
  5. vbrad26 Jan 21, 2019

Yeah it will definitely be a requirement before purchase.
    After looking at pictures online I have determined I need to see just how blue it is in person.
    Some pictures make it look wayyyy too blue for my liking where as others make it look just right.
    I also want to see the Black Bay w/ the blue bezel in person because in pictures it looks too dark.

Yes, being on the large side is definitely a concern and it does look like it is pretty thick.
    And honestly, I have just never been a huge fan of the SMP or PO.
    But again, maybe if I saw some in person, It would change my outlook.

6. borre Jan 21, 2019

Although the SMP is 2mm larger than the Pelagos, it feels smaller on the wrist.
    I also tried the PO... Also way too thick... same feeling as with the Pelagos.

If you didn't see/try the new SMP in the metal yet, I recommend you do that... you might be surprised

Caliber561 and vbrad26 like this.
  7. vbrad26 Jan 21, 2019

Yeah I always though the PO would just be too big.
    a blue/blue SMP could definitely be in the running, but I didn't necessarily want to get another Omega.
    Not opposed to it, just like to diversify brands a bit.

8. Stufflers Mom Jan 21, 2019

If you are not in a hurry the Basel and Omega events will be taking place soon and there's bound to be a killer blue dial diver for 2019

vbrad26 likes this.
  9. Paedipod Jan 21, 2019

Have tried to like the various versions of the Pelagos, and religiously trek down to the AD each new release. The first couple (regular and lefty) I had my name on the first refusal but each time couldn't pull the trigger.

Reasons: clunky case (same reason I am not a fan of the maxi-cased rolexes, and the Tudor feels even more "fat");clasp is very functional and well engineered and ugly too but didn't feel quite right, maybe I can't get used to a spring-loaded extender (don't like the ones on my ZRC either); somehow the titanium makes it feel a bit light -- I know that the Ti versions of the Seamaster (and the speedies including x-33) should weigh roughly the same, feels more like it is floating on my wrist.

so nothing that everyone else hasn't already said.....pther than blue are you looking specifically at titanium? the movement? the depth rating?

vbrad26 likes this.
  10. Reddy_Kilowatt Jan 21, 2019

I was prepared to fall in love with and purchase a blue Pelagos. Alas, it wasn't meant to be, at least not at first sight. Like you, I found it to be quite flat and dull. Others may find it to be just right. I'm planning to track down the BB 79230 in blue in my search.
    [​IMG]

The 42mm PO and 14060 remain high on my list. Different value propositions, I know.

George.A, vbrad26 and Lonestar like this.
  11. redzer007 Jan 21, 2019

I'd definitely wait for Baselworld. I'd consider it a fair chance that the new (BW 2018) Tudor movement will make it into other models with a Pelagos being a high contender, along with BBs

This potentially will slim it down a lot, and may reduce the MSRP of the existing model.

It's a great watch, Personally the black model is my preference

vbrad26 likes this.
  12. Wivac Terribly special Jan 21, 2019

Don't fancy a 2500PO if thickness an issue?

As trodden elsewhere I looked very hard at a Pel, but went and the PO instead. I REALLY like how wears, just wasn't 100% on the dial details.

vbrad26 likes this.
  13. Gasman Jan 21, 2019

On the Rolex Forum they are saying there is a possibility of a Tudor Sub. But I like the blue Pelagos so go for that.

vbrad26 likes this.
  14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 21, 2019

Pelagos works out in my estimation.
    C18A4897-557E-4346-AED2-89F70D9B6B79.jpeg 34146ACF-9A2E-4CC8-BFC6-434A82466F7D.jpeg

Edited Jan 21, 2019
    vbrad26, blufinz52 and Gasman like this.
  15. Gasman Jan 21, 2019

I’ve got 3 Tudors a Harrods a GMT and a Bucherer Bronze can’t justify a Pelagos but would if I could.

vbrad26 likes this.
  16. time flies Jan 21, 2019

My short answer would be: the Pelagos and not a Planet Ocean. Then I get to thinking: if you not going to dive and can tolerate less WR, then maybe the Omega Aqua Terra 15 ATM of WR. Shown is my 41.5MM. If I had it to do again I darn well might get the smaller one. 38mm or something like that. Anyhow...
    20180904_081628.jpg 20180105_165321.jpg have fun.
    kfw

vbrad26 likes this.
  17. pongster Jan 21, 2019

Yes, if you already have a smurf.

The pelagos nice. If i didnt have a smurf, i would have bought one.

vbrad26 likes this.
  18. redzer007 Jan 22, 2019

Not sure they are comparable tbh. A white gold tool watch? Precious metal tool watch concept I always find a bit odd. Also big big price delta.

vbrad26 likes this.
  19. cchen Jan 22, 2019

I used to have a Pelagos and loved it. Boring, but totally a tool watch

vbrad26 likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 22, 2019

Tudor should have called it the Pancake instead of the Pelagos
    “It gets flipped so much”

Tudor is slowly becoming the most flipped watch. Have seen people flip between each new release a fair bit also.

Bit thick for me.

vbrad26 likes this.