Forums Latest Members

Any problems buying new from EBay....

1. Motman Jun 2, 2017

..Apart from things such as scammers or those with lousy feedback? PayPal/credit card payment should mean your money is safe shouldn't it?

Take this watch, for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unworn-Om...982573?hash=item1c860b76ed:g:2VcAAOSwtfhYrYedPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    With retail price of £6,000, that's a near 25% saving. Seller has good feedback and the only problem I can see is that you lose 4 months of the warranty. I know they say if it's too good to be true etc. but I can't see the problem or am I missing something obvious?

2. Wing Zero Jun 2, 2017

For Buyers, it's pretty safe to shop on Ebay.
    You get Buyers Protection From Ebay. Protection from PayPal and Protection from Credit Card if you use it through PayPal.
    So that's 3 layers of protection.

3. Motman Jun 2, 2017

Thanks
    Is this considered a Grey import and would there be any problems with warranty should it be needed? What extra do I get if buying from an Omega boutique or authorised dealer other than a nice carrier bag and a glass of wine?

Incidentally, the price tag shown in the picture €7,400 works out to nearer £6.5k, well above the RRP.

4. wristpirate Jun 2, 2017

Motman likes this.
  5. Motman Jun 2, 2017

Well, thanks for that find - that seems an even better bargain. Is it safe to buy from Chrono24? Anyone on here used them?

6. epcwks Jun 2, 2017

Hey all. I've not ourchased from Chrono24 before. They look like they are consignment and some of those offers look sketchy to me.
    My $.02.

7. wristpirate Jun 2, 2017

Chrono24 are in effect just a watch advert posting site. Like Gumtree for lack of a better example. So you must do your own due diligence on the individual sellers there.

Motman and shishy like this.
  8. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 2, 2017

With chrono24, you really just have to buy into the buyer. I am not so sure that chrono24 itself offers a lot of protection. Sellers pay a fee to chrono24 to get their listings up there but buyers won't see the same level of protection you see with ebay.

I think if you're buying on chrono24, follow the same best practices you would if you were buying from a stranger on the internet on any watch forum, and don't be afraid to walk away if you feel that something is off.

I personally have not purchased from chrono24, although I know people who have without issues. However, they were very careful and did their due diligence. I will also say that I have seen sellers on chrono24 try to scam others so really be careful.

Motman, epcwks and wristpirate like this.
  9. isaac.owen.nz Jun 3, 2017

I've purchased not directly through chrono24 but frequently search the site and if I find something I'm interested in I'll then search out the sellers shop/company and go through them direct with email/phone call etc to confirm comfort.
    Saying that I haven't purchased through a private seller on there.

Motman likes this.
  10. Motman Jun 3, 2017

I see from their website they are 'based in 12 countries'. I've emailed them and asked them whether they have the watch I'm interested in, in London.

11. WatchArt Jun 3, 2017

I have been tempted by the selection on Chrono24 but also have not had the courage to pull the trigger. Some of the finds are priced below what one expects true market value. . and since it is a paid service, you must wonder why they are not posting on other more traditional watch sites. With that being said, if you are to do your homework (since it's a site of hundreds of sellers) you should be ok and may in fact get a rare find. Many of the vendors are in Europe and if the watch is expensive enough, an in person visit could be worth it. Good luck.

Motman likes this.
  12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 3, 2017

I've purchased one watch via Chrono24 from a dealer with a bricks and mortar location and it went smoothly. I believe they will do a sort of escrow style/trusted checkout and insist (insisted?) that private sellers post pictures of the watch set at a time of Chrono24's choosing to try to establish the seller actually has the watch.

That having been said, the good advice in this thread about due dilligence holds.

Motman likes this.
  13. Rglaz Jun 3, 2017

Look carefully at the seller. If they are a regular watch seller with high number of sales with positive results, it is probably OK. If it is too good to be true it probably is. I bought 2 off there and sent them back the same day. Some Frankenstein watches appear and I have reported them.. they disappear under one sellers name and appear under different seller who sells dishes and hub caps!

As for Chrono 24, the watch dealers are probably ok. I have rarely seen a real deal on there.

Edited Jun 3, 2017
    Motman likes this.
  14. Motman Jun 3, 2017

Well, I've just heard back from them. The watch is not in this country but could be delivered to me in max 14 days. The price they have quoted is €4950 for a direct price sale or €4950 + 3.5% for a trusted checkout fee. So that's either £4,330 direct or £4,485 through the trusted seller process. Retail price is £6,000. I suppose if I were to go ahead I'd check out whether the credit card payment goes direct to them so as to be covered under a section 75 agreement. Apparently there's been a few reports lately about credit card purchases going wrong with no recourse because the payment is funnelled through a third party without the knowledge of the purchaser. At the moment though, I'm not feeling brave enough to do a transaction of that size online with a company in another country that I haven't checked, checked and checked again!

15. panaitchrono Jun 19, 2017

If you'll pay by PayPal you'll be covered but I think the price it's to the upper limit of an PayPal transaction..5000 USD..So it's possible to be a scam and you'll see that you can't pay by PayPal and ask for a bank transfer which it's not an option for you..:)

16. Motman Jun 19, 2017

Just an update. I bought my Speedmaster 57 for just over a couple of hundred quid more than the one in my first post. Shop was local to me (Watchfinder) and I could examine it before purchasing. Same price whether on debit card or credit card so paid on credit card to get M&S points. Much safer. They must have a regular supplier as I see they already have another one for sale for £200 more than I paid.

17. Wing Zero Jun 19, 2017

Ohh. I want to see some pictures
    Congratz

18. Motman Jun 19, 2017

Here you go then - just a standard '57 fresh out of the box. Bought it for my 60th birthday - in November and I'm not allowed to wear it outside the house until then!

[​IMG]