Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex May 5, 2015

Hello chaps,

Considering having a clear out of a few watches that aren't getting worn much (at all...) and buying something else.

The mk1 X-33 is appealing on quite a few levels, and I've read the various buyers guides/articles out there, just wondering if anyone here has one, that they've worn for a few years?

Any feedback? Negative? positive? Indifferent?

Cheers!

Chris

2. gee_cee May 6, 2015

I had a Gen2 and much preferred the bezel over the Gen1. Functions are identical, but some of the later Gen2's had an upgraded module (thermocompensated?) which I think had a blue backlight instead of green. The Gen2's fetch a higher premium, but then seem to be holding their value so may be a better bet if there's a chance you will flip it down the line..

3. tyrantlizardrex May 6, 2015

Thanks Gee!

It seems that all the differences between the Gen1 and Gen2 are cosmetic... and I think I prefer the look of the Gen1!

What was it like on the wrist?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2015

With regards to the movement, the Cal. 1666C is thermocompensated, but the A and B versions are not. There were a lot of people claiming there was a D version also, but that is not the case.

Cheers, Al

Caesar95 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. gee_cee May 6, 2015

Very comfortable, for me. The Ti bracelet is excellent. I thought it looked best with the digi display turned off. Quite minimal.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. Prange May 7, 2015

Firstly, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

A few questions:

Are the repair/maintenance costs and intervals similar to a conventional Omega, say a Speedmaster?

Are there any reliability issues with the X-33?

Thanks.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2015

You would have to ask Omega what they recommend for service intervals and pricing...I don't work for them, so personally with any quartz watch, I suggest you wear it until it stops or until the battery life becomes problematic.

I have seen movements with problems before, but if any of these constitute a weakness is another matter. I don't know of anything that Omega has made a point of calling out as a problem on these. I have seen for example watches with dark areas around the center of the dial where the backlight is not working properly, but that is evident right from the start and not an issue that develops over time as far as I know.

8. tyrantlizardrex May 8, 2015

Omega suggest a 2 year service on these... but from what I've been told, they basically exchange the movement, clean the case, and reseal... not sure that counts as a "service". ;-)

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2015

I suspect the 2 year service interval you are talking about is actually a battery service, not a service or replacement of the movement. The watch is taken in, the battery removed, the movement powered by a timing machine, and electrical checks are done. If the watch passes they install a new cell, reseal the case, pressure test, and it's done.

But you are correct that any time I have sent one in to Omega that had problems, they simply swapped the movement. Again this is why I say to just wear it until it stops working, or the battery changes become too frequent for your liking.

Cheers, Al

Caesar95 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 8, 2015

Also be wary of the screws and such. They have to be equally torqued otherwise there can be issues with the alarm not working.

Etp095 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex Jan 11, 2016

Hey Al,

Sorry to bring back a post from the dead, but does the 1666C replace the 1666A? (Just realised the B is the version with no analogue hands).

I've picked up an early one over the weekend, at a very good price, but with a fault - Omega have confirmed that they switch the whole module with a brand new service one, which is "current specification"... assuming that's the C.

This, apparently is what they do for NASA/ESA pieces...

Edited Jan 11, 2016
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2016

The X-33 makes a great , go to travel watch, especially for plane travel. Gmt, loudest alarm,

A lighted dial, push button makes the display visible in the dark

A 80dB alarm function

Mission Time - A long chronograph function in days,hours,minutes and seconds. Usefull for timing the whole mission or flight. The
    mission time alarm function may be programmed at any time throughout the mission.

Universal Time - GMT Time. Indicating the date of the week, the hour, the minutes and the seconds. This is used to avoid the confusion of time zone changes. This function also has its own alarm function.

Chronograph - 1/100 of a second.

Date - displays international mode (day, month, year) or English mode (month, day, year). The day of the week is only displayed in the English language.

Turning bezel - Unidirectional

Luminous hands - Modernized version of the dauphin hands.

I would add that the crown on the Gen II model is more functional, easier to use. It can replace the older model on Gen I

Etp095 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2016

Yes any time I've sent one in the new movement (C) has been installed.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex Jan 11, 2016

Thanks Al.

Omega here in the UK (at least the customer service people on the phone) don't seem to know what I'm talking about... I'll have to assume the tech have better knowledge! :D