Forums Latest Members
  1. JwRosenthal May 30, 2019

i know nothing about them, always thought they were cool (love the smaller form factor) love the reverse panda versions I’ve seen, but very little seems to be said on this forum about them.
    I’ve read the movement is a two part design and works differently than something like a 7750, is that bad? Are they unreliable? I wouldn’t get rid of my Moon watch for one, but would love a Panda and they seem like a steal on the used market for an Omega automatic Chrono and I’m wondering why.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 30, 2019

The dates that replaced them are much better. 7750 based and chronometers.

51219D75-7528-433E-B5E9-E264A47FBECC.jpeg

Paulomega, Nobel Prize and watchos like this.
  3. Shabbaz May 31, 2019

Hard and expensive to service was the general feeling from a technical point of view.

felsby likes this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 31, 2019

If you want some light reading, there are many threads on the topic.

5. Swissmister May 31, 2019

IF I knew anything about them, I'd happily share the basics with you. Clearly, if I'm here on this forum I'm not particularly busy. ;)

There are some attractive models to choose from. You can probably pick one up used for about 1500 usd.

Paulomega likes this.
  6. Shabbaz May 31, 2019

Picture of course

20190531_133208.jpg
  7. Alphasports May 31, 2019

I was given mine by Omega when I worked for them at the 2006 Torino Winter Olympics (their return as Official Timekeeper after many Swatch-branded Games). Like many, mine has had its share of quirks. The Dubois-Depraz "sandwich style" chrono module it's equipped with sits on top of the regular movement and requires very specialized tools to access, so it is problematic to work on. I finally gave it a full factory service last year but it returned with related problems a couple of times so Omega just finally replaced the entire movement free of charge (on top of the CAD $1000 chrono service of course). I received it with a leather strap but was never too keen on that, it "underpowers" the watch. Found a NOS bracelet last year (pretty sure it's genuine but even Omega couldn't tell!), love the watch on the bracelet, it's been great since the movement replacement (and was fine with the original as well). IIRC it's a 38mm case (maybe 39), wears well at this size.

One kind of fun anecdote with my watch is the dealer card is stamped by the Omega factory in Bienne...as direct as you can get :)

[​IMG]

loniscup and Swissmister like this.
  8. Stufflers Mom May 31, 2019

Great watches, but can be awkward\costly to repair.

P1130601.JPG

Swissmister likes this.
  9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF May 31, 2019

I say bullshit to the "awkward, costly" to repair as a rule.

I bought this watch on eBay for around $1200US, the 18mm JB Champion for around $125US. I sent it to a watchmaker that I had service only the base movement at a cost of around $325US. The watch runs great, looks great to me and I ain't worried when I wear it because it ain't precious.

I figure I'll send the thing to Omega when the chrono quits. It's not like the chrono movement gets much use anyway.

If you're not a watch snob, and I know this cuts a HUGE swath through the interested population, and really just want a good looking daily wear watch they are hard to beat. I LOVE the 38mm size and thinner height profile.
    Reduced_009.jpg

10. JwRosenthal May 31, 2019

I’ve read several threads, just wanted to hear from people who own them (not just people who have read about them), and find out if it is worth putting on my list. I own older German cars so am used to complicated and expensive to repair. But they can be very reliable if you take care of them and a joy to own. So far I’m getting the same impression about these little Speedmasters.

Swissmister likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal May 31, 2019

So what seems to be the common failure? From what I have read it seems to be the chrono feature. Is it fragility due to a lack of shock resistance? Is it a sequencing issue if the chrono is engaged improperly- gets hung up or out of alignment is pushers aren’t engaged in the right order?

12. Canuck May 31, 2019

One of my faves. In 1991, I bought it from a guy who bought it in Europe in 1990. He turfed the guarantee and the box to avoid paying duty. So when it was a problem, there was no warranty. I bought it from him, and it was erratic and unreliable from the get go. So for the first 25 years I owned it, I didn’t wear it. Finally sent to Omega, Canada, and about $700 later, it came back with a replacement movement. It is now very reliable, and very accurate. I love it!
    Steel and 18-karat rose gold, made for only one year.

66E78E55-912C-468B-ABBF-3ED14B9A0B14.jpeg

ahsposo likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal May 31, 2019

I like the date versions and have been looking at those too, but I do find the baby 3/6/9 chrono layout charming of course

14. padders Oooo subtitles! May 31, 2019

I have owned 2 compound movement chronos like the Reduced has, one an Omega. I am sure some owners enjoy blissful reliability but both mine have needed multiple trips to the watchmaker to get right. One is playing up still. Never again.

ps half a service is not the answer and is about as useful as no service at all

Archer likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal May 31, 2019

So what I am gathering is that the earlier ones were problematic and at some point Omega figured out the fix, and the replacement movements are reliable (yes-no?). This would lead me to speculate that after a certain serial number, the kinks were worked out. Anyone know where that serial range is?

16. ChrisN May 31, 2019

You don't need any specific tools to open and service the module but, to the best of my knowledge, they won't sell you spares. I don't usually take them on because of that but I did one last year for a customer and a few years ago, I put a thread on here showing the rebuild of a similar DD module. You can see in those pictures that there is nothing special in the design.

The logic is that you service the base movement and set it up. Mount the Dubois Depraz module and check the amplitude drop and functions. If it's outside of the specified limit, then you send the module back and receive an exchange unit. However, they won't deal with just anyone so not many want to take these on.

Servicing just the base movement is fine if the DD module passes the tests but these can be old now and the DD module has often never been looked at so, it becomes unreliable. It's a major risk in buying one and that's why they are cheap in comparison to other watches.

All the hands are powered by the DD module, not just the chronograph part so, you're always running part of the module when the watch is going. For me, it's not the most elegant design but if the module checks out then you are just paying for an ETA2892 (for example) service rather than a fully blown chronograph calibre - I think Omega just have one price though. You might win but, you might not... generally, it seems to be the latter!

Cheers, Chris

Swissmister likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2019

The dates come in 3,6,9 and 12,9,6

They are the same size as reduced. One difference is a slightly angled bezel instead of a flat bezel.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 31, 2019

Indeed. Do you tell your mechanic to change the oil but leave the old filter?

padders likes this.
  19. MRC May 31, 2019

I really like mine and wear it more than any other watch -- but that's partly because it's easily replacable and I don't want to lose more pushers from 1960's Heuers. I had it serviced by an independent with an Omega account and have no reliabilty issues. My other "sandwich" chrono is a '69 Calibre 11 and that makes its own mind up what the date is and how much time to lose or gain each day. Sure looks good though.

P1010474m.JPG

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 31, 2019

Hi Chris,

Few things...

There is one movement holder that Omega sells specifically to make servicing of the module easier. As you have shown it can be done without that holder, but if I were doing a lot of them (I don't and won't if anyone is thinking of asking!) then it would certainly be a handy thing to have to make life easier.

As far as just servicing the base movement, and putting the module on to test it, that may be what people do, but it's not really what Omega calls for. In fact the tech guide for the 3220 says this as the very first thing (after listing tools lubricants, and parts that have been redesigned that should be changed):

"The chronograph is always disassembled in the START position.

The chronograph module must be completely disassembled. All parts should be cleaned carefully."

Emphasis is mine.

There are certainly checks for functionality that must be done on the module after service, and there is an allowed amplitude drop between the chronograph turned on and when turned off, but these are not used to determine if the module is serviced or replaced. It always gets serviced, at least if the job is being done properly.

Your point about the module always running is an important one for those who may think that just because the chronograph isn't running, the module isn't getting any wear - that is a completely false idea.

As I've said many times before in these threads, the modular chronograph isn't more expensive to service than an integrated chronograph is if you send it to Omega - they charge the same for all chronographs. So the "it's more expensive" claim is somewhat midleading. But what is certain is that if you are getting a full and proper service, your options will be much more limited than they are with an integrated chronograph, such as the 7750 based calibers.

If people love these and want them, then buy all means get one. Just understand what it is you are buying before you do so, and what it may mean in terms of servicing down the road (or right away as the case may be).

Cheers, Al