Forums Latest Members

Any legitimate online dealers to recommend?

1. kagi6514 Oct 22, 2013

Hi!

I'm currently looking to buy either a vintage Longines or Omega watch for my partner. Does anyone know of a good webpage with a good reputation that sells only authentic watches? I'm currently considering "Quality Vintage Timepieces" (http://www.qualityvintagetimepieces.com) but since I don't know much about how to identify what is genuine or not, I'm struggling. They offer a year warrantee on the mechanism and a 7 day return policy (only if my local watch maker deems it as fake upon examination). What does everyone think about this? What makes me a little wary is that the company doesn't have a proper address, just a vague mention of being located in the Toronto region. I'd prefer buying from a registered business that can be held accountable if I get ripped off. The only thing is they're quite cheap compared to the Vintage shops in Sydney that come with papers etc. E.g. around $700 for a 1972 LONGINES SUB SEC GENT'S WATCH. I can't find a thing under $1,500 in sydney. Looking forward to your responses, and thanks in advanced. :)

2. ulackfocus Oct 22, 2013

Post the direct links here and we'll help you. You should definitely take a look at our sales forum for authentic pieces:

http://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/

Most of what you'll see are pieces that collectors have already vetted but are moving on to upgrade. Don't hesitate to ask about any listing, but don't hesitate to buy once you get the thumb's up either. (Just listed two watches myself - one sold in less than 2 hours, the other in about 6 hours)

I've heard good things about Quality Vintage Timepieces, as well as Farfo and eBay sellers mentioned here:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/Ωf-unanimously-favorite-ebay-sellers-list.3612/

Bought from fabsuisse / Gregg myself. Also, 333Watch has a few nice watches too.

kagi6514 likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2013

Dennis gave you sound advice. I would add, if you buy from any of these dealers, please vet the piece here first. No one will snatch out from under you and we may find some problem the dealer did not list or was unaware of. Most dealers have some lemons in their stock.

DLT222 and kagi6514 like this.
  4. Hijak Oct 22, 2013

Many of their dials are refinished thus many of their watches are overpriced! A refinished dial kills the value to a collector. In general buying from a dealer will always be more expensive than buying from an individual. The folks here on this forum will give you an honest assessment of any watch you you choose to ask about, weather from a dealer of on ebay or anywhere else...lots of expertise here, all you have to do is ask. Out of curiosity is there any thing in particular in an Omega or Longines your looking for?

5. kagi6514 Oct 22, 2013

Thanks so much for your responses. I'll definitely check out the sales forum also, there are so many listings!! Hijak my reasons for preferring Omega or Longines are mostly superficial. My partner is a simple man so I know he'd prefer the minimalism and unfussiness of the dial on a seamaster or longines automatic. I don't mind whether its a sterling silver or gold case, but with a leather strap. I quite like the watches that date from the 40's-70's. You have all been a great help, I can honestly say I feel much more confident sorting through the vast array of styles now. I won't hesitate to ask for advice either!

6. Hijak Oct 22, 2013

Most of the silver colored watches are stainless steel just for your reference. I also like these watches, in particular the fifties and sixties watches. A good place to start to maybe narrow down what your looking for is to browse through the "What Are You Wearing" thread or WRUW thread. This will have pictures of many watches and you can see what strikes your fancy. And if you have questions on any just ask away.

kagi6514 likes this.