Forums Latest Members
  1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 8, 2015

Just curious - would anyone would like to start a group that meets in LA to share the hobby?

2. flyingout Apr 8, 2015

Sure. Evenings are tough though, especially if actually in L.A.

Do you know of other members in the area?

3. calalum Apr 8, 2015

I am here, and I know some other guys from another board that we sometimes have a meal with. Maybe a couple of times a year for show and tell and general conversation.

4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 9, 2015

Well that's great news. I would really appreciate going to a meet up some time. Should I have to organize one myself or merely join an existing group - I'm fine either way.

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 14, 2015

Is there nobody else that would like to meet up near LA?

6. E-diddy Apr 14, 2015

I'm in Norcal but would be interested in hearing about plans to meet up.

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 29, 2015

Anybody who would like to meet up with me and other members on this site for some watch talk in Southern California, PM me and I'll add you to the list and we can discuss meeting times.

8. calalum Apr 29, 2015

Second week of June? I have a good restaurant to do it at in BH.

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 29, 2015

I will add you to the list of potentials. Your time request has been noted. Feel free to say or PM the restaurant.

10. calalum Apr 29, 2015

New Port Seafood on La Cienega. Great food and a big open feeling space, lots of room, big tables, spread out.

11. flyingout Apr 30, 2015

You can add me to the list.

What are thoughts on location, lunch, happy hour, dinner, weekday, weekend? I imagine we could be spread out quite a bit.

I'm in O.C. with family care duties that limit options somewhat. Plus traffic. A weekend lunch would probably be the best chance I could make it.

Cheers

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 30, 2015

We have 5-6 interested people at the moment. I will create a spreadsheet/google document for us to fill in, to make schedules and preferences clear.

Anybody else who is interested, feel free to post or PM me.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 30, 2015

Try to keep exact timing and location to private messaging, I'd rather not read about an armed hold-up at a forum pub outing in the news :)

14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 30, 2015

Understood

15. aesguerra May 3, 2015

If held on Sunday evenings, I might be able to participate. Having a spouse working for an airline has its benefits. ;)

Alex

16. calalum May 4, 2015

June 13 or 14?

17. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 7, 2015

We currently have five interested members - perhaps up to seven. Should anybody else like to join, please PM me.

18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 12, 2015

There were 6 of us that met yesterday in LA.

Mostly all Omegas with some JLCs and my favorite, a mil spec Blancpain FF. 90% vintage, and all were totally amazing.

Take away for me... when you buy vintage buy those that are in very good/great condition. Simply amazed by the quality of the watches the members brought to share.

The were two 2998s that looked simply amazing. Even one rolex that from a distance looked just like my Speedy Panda (and my guess 20 times more expensive).

We failed taking pics....

And I have a lead on a 105.003 :)

19. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 12, 2015

Sorry I missed this one! Sounds like there were some good folk with cool stuff to share. I'm not a collector, but am nevertheless fascinated by the world of mechanical watches. I'd love to be part of one of these get togethers in the future. One thing, for me personally -- Friday night/Saturday don't work out for me -- it's a Jewish thing -- but later on Saturday night, and Sunday are A-OK. But I also realize that Sunday may be problematic for others for similar reasons. Anyway -- you can count me in next time if the scheduling works out :)

20. flyingout Jul 12, 2015

Meh. I just remember a wannabe Paul Newman, a bunch of small watches with dials that had little bumps all over them, a mechanical watch pretending to be a quartz, and a doofus who didn't know his golfers very well.

:whipped: X 6

Seriously though, so many amazing watches that I had never seen in person before. Cool meetup.