Forums Latest Members

Any keen runners around here?

1. Dimitar Kostov Regulatory Anarchist Oct 6, 2016

As a totally insane long distance runner I was wondering if some of you guys hit the pavement now and then, here and there? Where and when do you like to run? What are you greatest achievments you are proud of, any recent races participated or coming up? Some funny stories to share? Favorite running watches?

I'm running 4-5 times per week for a couple of years now, logged about 3000 km. I prefer trails and hate roads. On Sunday (10/09) I'll take part in the Sofia Marathon.

Here's a joke at the end: one day in September this year I was so scatterbrained that forgot to switch watches before lacing up. I just threw off suite, tie and shoes and jumped into the Nikes. Apple Watch remained in the drawer. 13 sweaty miles later I realized I was wearing my favorite 1950's Longines Cal. 30L. I had a heart attack, my watchmaker had one as well when I explained how the hell that happened :)

And here's a nice running pic:
    20160828_081523000_iOS.jpg

ELV web, duc and Mad Dog like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2016

Ask @ulackfocus , I have seen him run up and down trees for hours.

khmt2, lando, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2016

Seriously though, when I am in NJ Dennis and I have contests running from the TV to the refrigerator and then back again.
    I don't know how he does it but he beats me 6 out ten runs. :unsure:
    He is younger though. ;)

Northernman, khmt2, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  4. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 6, 2016

I've just started doing a 5km run organised by parkrun on a Saturday morning.
    Think I've done six in the past three months and trying to make it a regular thing now.

Hadn't really run since school (I turn 48 later this month). Back then I struggled to even get out of the school gates before starting to walk on the cross country course.

I haven't made a full 5km yet without stopping but getting better each time.
    Running with a (much younger than me) previous work colleague and getting heaps of support from her.

We switched to the South Bank (Brisbane city) course a couple of weeks ago. There are steps up to the bridge that is the second (returning) river crossing at about the 3.2km mark. That brings me to a walk until the crest of the bridge.
    Finishing the final 1.5km without stopping again was our greatest achievement yet.

parkrun is a really smart, free system. You get times posted up online and there is a huge variety of runners in age, experience and ability.
    There's always someone around that you really don't want to let beat you. :p

Shuffling around in about 33 minutes currently.
    I'm sure there's some huge leaps forward I could be taking with a little technique training.
    Working on my breathing right now and still amazed how much of it is a mental battle.

Good luck with the Sofia Marathon @Dimitar Kostov :thumbsup: Will that be your first?

ps. my running watch is a G-Shock mudman

ELV web, Mad Dog and Dimitar Kostov like this.
  5. NT931 Oct 6, 2016

i run mostly shorter distances nowadays (4-5k) though I used to do longer distances of 10-20k. I don't run with any mechanical watches though! Timepiece of choice is a Garmin Forerunner which I find easy to use.

ELV web, Mad Dog and Dimitar Kostov like this.
  6. lillatroll Oct 6, 2016

My wife and I jog 4 times week following a couch to 5 km program. It is a very good way to get started as it is very gentle and builds up over a long period of time. When I was an active boxer I used to run 10 miles everyday. I enjoy jogging but don t think I would like to do any of those crowd runs. My sister has run lots of 10k races and a few half marathons and the london marathon twice but I can t see the joy in it.

duc, Mad Dog and Dimitar Kostov like this.
  7. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Oct 6, 2016

I'm a runner first, and a cyclist second.
    Typically run three times per week, two five milers and on Sunday I do my long run, usually nine to ten miles. Once per month I will do 13.1. All on the road, nothing on trails.
    Garmin 410 is my running watch. It does everything.
    Weather is getting cooler here, great for running. Can't wait for winter and the snow! Nothing like running during or right after a snow fall. Peaceful and quiet. Careful that there isn't any ice. Broke a rib on ice once. ::censored::

Mad Dog and Dimitar Kostov like this.
  8. meganfox17 Oct 6, 2016

Wishing you the best of Luck @Dimitar Kostov this Sunday

My best time for the Half Marathon is 2 hrs 10 mins.
    Full Marathon 4 hrs 55 mins
    The Asics PBIM countdown Day - 52 [​IMG]

Ordinary people know their limits. Marathoners know how to push them

Mad Dog, alam, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  9. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Oct 6, 2016

Yes I am a daily runner. Went back to lifting again for a short time but inevitably went back to a daily 4-6miles, 5 days a week schedule. I'm ran two marathons in the last 5 years. Not looking to do anymore any time soon as it's a real beating on the knees. But I did a half at the beginning of the summer and it felt great.

Another question, does anyone wear a watch when they run... What is it?

Mad Dog and Dimitar Kostov like this.
  10. Dimitar Kostov Regulatory Anarchist Oct 6, 2016

For an year now I stick to Apple Watch, pre-ordered the Nike+ Series 2 as well, can't wait for late October for shipping to begin. In the past I have owned Garmin Forerunner, Nike+ Sportswatch and a Suunto.

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. Pakiwi Oct 6, 2016

Only thing that runs on my is my nose. Crazy cyclist. Hoping to hit 4500 Miles for the year. Final century this week if weather holds out. Goal for next year is to ride length of Blue Ridge. Good luck for your run.

12. M.D. Oct 6, 2016

I'm currently running 35-40 miles per week, 4-5 times per week. I feel a lot better when I'm running regularly. Fall weather is kicking in which makes it perfect for running, so really looking forward to the next couple of months.

My running watch of choice is currently a Garmin Forerunner.

13. meganfox17 Oct 6, 2016

Hi @Guys[emoji137]
    Hi @Dimitar Kostov
    ( i accidently typed Dimitar Berbetov twice [emoji3] [emoji379] )

Oo0opps..i forgot to post my marathon watch. Nothing fancy , just a Rangeman[​IMG]Wait a cotton pickin' minute[emoji15] Has anyone ever commented that you bear a resemblance to a Hollywood celebrity ?

I could have sworn you look like him[emoji3][​IMG]Ok...let's add the beard[emoji13][​IMG]

14. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2016

Sweetie, please loosen that up a notch before you cut off circulation to your hand. ;) :p

And if ANYONE around here looks like a celebrity, it's me - I even SOUND like Howie Mandel.

2a06bac.jpg Howiemandel.jpg

Longbow, khmt2, ahartfie and 4 others like this.
  15. lillatroll Oct 6, 2016

Which one is u and which one is the celebrity? Neither look like a squirrel.

ulackfocus and Dimitar Kostov like this.
  16. ConElPueblo Oct 7, 2016

You're like twins!

In the "DeVito and Schwarzengger" style :D

Jonatan, khmt2, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  17. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 7, 2016

Oh, sure! I went running once last winter during a layover in Omaha, NE. I think I ran about 325 feet and realized that thousands of pedestrians (and motorists) were making fun of my running attire...so I became unhappy, stopped running, walked back to the motel room and watched Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" for several hours...then I became happy. :thumbsup:

290822-921ee5bc825528231f8fb3edb79a7413.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by a mod Oct 9, 2016
  18. meganfox17 Oct 7, 2016

Edited Oct 7, 2016
    Longbow and Mad Dog like this.
  19. Dimitar Kostov Regulatory Anarchist Oct 7, 2016

@meganfox17 Justin says: 'Never lose a Metallica tee' :p

Mad Dog and meganfox17 like this.
  20. M.D. Oct 8, 2016

Heading out now for 6 miles. Wrist shot of the Garmin.

1475935251707216024828.jpg