Forums Latest Members

Any Information Regarding My Old Grandfather's Pocket?

1. Y.S. Feb 17, 2013

Hi,

I have just found my old grandfather's pocket watch which I thought was stolen. It was apparently purchased in Budapest and handed to him by his grandfather in 1924, even though I can't confirm that.
    The watch was in use until the early 1960's, and have survived WWII in harsh conditions. It is not in working order (the spring is completely ruined), the hands are not screwed and the plastic/crystal top have gone all yellowish. However, the movement seems rather clean and the dial is probably authentic and in OK condition.
    I have compared this watch to somewhat identical watches on ebay, and even though this watch seems to be very common, it seems there are some oddities regarding its markings: Apparently some of the original movement hallmarks are missing, and there is a weird half crescent on the top left of the inner cover.
    Any ideas? Can you tell me which parts might not be original (if any)? Is it repairable?

Thanks!

2. MyVintageOmega Feb 17, 2013

Welcome aboard.......images didn't load. Look forward to seeing your pocket watch. cheers!

3. Y.S. Feb 18, 2013

Oops... My mistake:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. MyVintageOmega Feb 18, 2013

All seems original here....and the odd hallmark I'am unaware of but may be a manufacture process oddity. I would guess it ranks low in collectabilty....as pocket watches are not highly sought after. As an heirloom it's a treasure and I'am definately unclear on it's value as (some) pocket watches can be valuable indeed. Please wait till an expert chimes in as this is IMO.

5. Y.S. Feb 19, 2013

Thanks! Now i only I hope I can fix it properly, this one isn't for sale...