Forums Latest Members

Any information on this neat UG watch?

1. Lemons Apr 23, 2017

I found it around five years ago in a home that a relative purchased. It's since been restored, but I don't have much information on it. Would anyone happen to know a little about it or perhaps direct me to someone that could inform me of it? I am new to the watch market.. this is the first one that I have ever owned other than the cheap $10 watch. Also, what could it be valued at? I have a ball park number but it was from a few years ago from the jeweler that restored it. Any information would help! Thanks so much! DSCN0133.JPG DSCN0137.JPG

2. Carlton-Browne Apr 24, 2017

It's a re-dial. Probably worth the scrap value, assuming it's gold rather than gold-filled. Do you know what movement is in it? And also the case and reference numbers which are presumably on the inside of the caseback.

isnardi, Lemons and gop76 like this.
  3. Lemons Apr 24, 2017

I'm scared to take the back off. I had someone take it off for me in the passed. It is a manual movement and it's 18k gold(I should have included that in the listing.) It has been re-dialed and the number was on the back plate. It is also on the interior of the watch but I'm scared to take it off without damaging it. Should I take it to a local jeweler and ask them to take the back off to get the reference number, or is there a way I can do it myself without damaging the casing? Another bit of information that I should have added as well, I believe that the band clasps at the bottom are no longer the original ones. From my memory, a piece was missing, so the jeweler that I took it to get restored replaced the it. So it isn't all original. Thank you so much for responding!

4. Carlton-Browne Apr 26, 2017

If you're asking about the wisdom of taking the back off yourself then I think that indicates you should take it to a watchmaker; I don't want to make your life overly-complicated but I'd suggest a proper watchie from a recommendation rather than some of the battery-change merchants that are out there. With the movement calibre you should be able to hunt down a loose replacement dial on Ebay - they are out there because lots of precious metal three-handers have found their way into a smelting pot at some stage. Some movements are more common than others but I'd hope something will pop up within 3-6 months. The case reference may also indicate if it's an interesting model but as I can't see yours being a Polerouter or Golden Shadow I wouldn't hold your breath. Have fun.

5. oldschool May 18, 2017

Kinda new to site here... have this unique watch here...I don't think it's a fake by any mean's...can you help
    with any comment's... Im not sure where this message is going...so thank's
    PIC_0668.JPG PIC_0636.JPG PIC_0646.JPG PIC_0655.JPG PIC_0658.JPG

6. 10H10 May 19, 2017

I don't like how Cartier is written, looks like hand painted :confused: maybe I'm wrong...
    I have a couple of these with the same dial but without Cartier written on it, the value of mine is quite low IMO.

Carlton-Browne likes this.
  7. Carlton-Browne May 19, 2017

I don't think there's any question that the watch is anything but UG; the question is whether the Cartier additions are genuine or have potentially been retro-fitted to augment value. Have a read on this thread; there's some useful information about how Cartier should have added their own serial number if it was one of theirs.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/opinions-on-this-triple-signed-chronograph-with-a-cal-285-lecoultre-cartier-and-universal.15000/

I note that the caseback on yours has an additional reference (although the sources in the link above suggest that marks are usually on the back of the lugs); this leaves you the dilemma of whether you want to pay Cartier to authenticate it. In the case of a three-hander, which isn't a Polerouter or a cloisonné dial, then you are very unlikely to be adding $1k worth of value even if Cartier confirmed it as legit. I think I know what I'd be doing.

ELV web likes this.
  8. oldschool May 19, 2017

well... im in no rush to profit off this wonderful watch...I just found the face number's very interesting...but if you have the same face plate's do they have the same symbols on it?..I was told it was a Mongolian script and as far as hand-painted...how did Cartier do their work? Each (logo) is alittle different so I don't think they used a stencil...and the (number's) are almost like a raised decal...they have depth and contours so even it's weird...im just saying they look so "stock" like it was a option offered to the customer... it's a totally unmolested face plate...no sign of any previous #'s or any removal at all. Do you know if "blanks" were available? That's the only way this could have been done,it's way to clean for any alteration, Granted anything is possible but knowing the history of this family watch, I feel it's most likely a original.. My grandfather worked in NYC,selling insurance from the 40's till the late 60's and was abit of a "bigshot" in his eye's... Cadillac's and cigar's...nighclub's and the best in material thing's...sometimes the history of a item can say more than serial number's and logo's can prove. Thank you very much for the info and help. I just want to prove myself right and profit off knowing it, not selling it..yet...hey thanks again! .

9. Jonatan May 19, 2017

10. oldschool May 20, 2017

AWESOME!!! I have been looking everywhere on and off for 3 year's now...I knew a good site like this would come up with something...wow too cool for oldschool...never to old to learn! well the Cartier question is next on my quest for the truth...and that's no lie. hey THANK you all...if interested will post result's as they develop

11. 10H10 May 20, 2017

Here are mine but as I told you, I've paid much less than the one on sale. UG Chinese.jpg

12. oldschool May 20, 2017

Cool...do you have 6 digit serial#'s... the numbers on mine are confusing 23286...19797 and the668 above 18K...is there a inside case # possibility? and only 1 (on ebay) has similar #'s and a faint 699 above 18K if you zoom it...and that's the only 5 digit# etc....looks spooky close to compare the two.... any clue's on this one? thanks all

13. oldschool May 21, 2017

u/g...Calibre and Cartier....ya I know gotta prove it...im not done yet...still researching production year....