Forums Latest Members

Any information about this diver?

1. Optimizer13 Apr 1, 2016

I recently picked up this cute little watch but there's not much history available about it aside from its owned by Alfex Watch Company (Swiss) at some point. I do like the design -- the white inner ring is a nice contrast and the lume is creamy vanilla in flawless condition. Dial says Jaquet Cobur 21 Jewels. The movement actually sounds like hi-beat, although its very likely I have no idea what I'm talking about. The case size is 36.5mm without crown so its a bit small but looks OK on my tiny wrist. Any information about this watch would be much appreciated! And here are the pictures...

Cheers!
    H

DSCF5486.JPG DSCF5491.JPG DSCF5493.JPG DSCF5495.JPG DSCF5499.JPG DSCF5502.JPG DSCF5507.JPG DSCF5509.JPG
    sliceoftime_ and Northernman like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 2, 2016

I have a fairly substantial sub-collection of vintage divers made by other than the big names. This one, however, is new to me, and I am surprised to find virtually no information on the brand online. Safe to say that it was one of many small brands that emerged briefly in Switzerland during the mid-Century, and then soon disappeared.

I like the basic design of the watch, but do not like chrome-plated cases. Yours is in decent shape, and looks OK, but I try to avoid them.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Tony C.

Edited Apr 2, 2016
    Optimizer13 and watchknut like this.
  3. Optimizer13 Apr 2, 2016

Thanks for your comments!

I did not know this is a chrome-plated case ::facepalm2::. I actually own a chrome-plated watch but looks different than this one -- perhaps this one is not as shiny and reflective as the typical chromium case? The good thing is I paid almost nothing for this watch. However, I would like to know how can you tell its chromium? Just wanted to learn something...

4. dx009 Apr 2, 2016

From the traces of chrome and patina on the case ? :)

5. Optimizer13 Apr 2, 2016

The small dots on the case? The stuff between the lugs are just gunk right?

6. dx009 Apr 2, 2016

Actually yeah...::facepalm1:: I think it's the hue of the metal... ?

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 2, 2016

The easiest tell is when a case back is marked "stainless steel back", or on yours "stainless back", you can be sure that the upper case is made from some inferior quality material.

Optimizer13 likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Apr 2, 2016

I'd say that the "Stainless Steel Back" would mean that the rest isn't stainless. Just like when a seller on eBay mentions how crown, bezel and hands are original, but refrains from mentioning the dial ;)

Optimizer13 likes this.
  9. Optimizer13 Apr 3, 2016

Thank you friends!!! :)