Forums Latest Members

Any Information About My Great Grandfather's Seamaster?

1. mattd Jun 8, 2013

I was recently given my great grandfather's watch and wondered if you guys could give me any information about it. The dial says Seamaster, the movement says 500, and the case says Ross GX-6267. From what I've found online, that all seems pretty common. Although, the "12" at the top and no other numerals seems odd. It's been in a drawer for probably the last 20+ years, but it appears to be keeping time well- within a minute over 24 hours.

Obviously I'm curious if it's worth anything, although I assume it is not and I have no interest in selling it. It is "14k gold filled." I'm more interested in any recommendations if it would be worth maintaining and/or restoring, or the off chance that there might be some more interesting history to it. Otherwise, my current plan is to just replace the band and start wearing it.

Thanks for your help. 1-IMG_4305.JPG 1-IMG_4316.JPG 1-IMG_4317.JPG

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2013

It is a Norman Morris creation (case made in the US by the distributor then) with the movement and case in nice shape. The dial is a textured one which has been refinished incorrectly. Not worth a lot especially with the dial refinished but priceless as a heirloom. Lots here would suggest refinishing the dial to a higher standard but in this case I would advise keeping it as is - that dial is the watch face your great grandfather looked at regularly when he used it.

MKelley likes this.
  3. mac_omega Jun 9, 2013

If you plan to wear it on a regular basis it is a "must" to have it cleaned and lubricated before! Otherwise you will run the risk of ruining the movement - after the watch had sat so long in a drawer the oil will have dried and gummed up. The movement looks so bright that it is worth maintaining it - I am pretty sure it will keep time within some seconds per day after some TLC.

kind regards
    erich

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Precisely what Erich said, don't wind it up or wear it until its been serviced.

5. mattd Jun 14, 2013

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

6. AGEMO Jun 17, 2013

Great watch! There is no telling what these type of Omegas will be worth someday. The key as was mentioned here will be taking good care of it. Vintage always gets cooler. You can't put a price on cool.