Forums Latest Members

Any info where we can learn about the different movements and what updates were made over thr years?

1. Keef Richards Apr 20, 2019

I love the latest movement in the Omega watches and was curious if there is info on what movements were used in the past 30 years or so and what updates were made with newer movement over the years.

2. ericmtl Apr 20, 2019

I think the best source on information for you would be this book:
    4417059546_f0122fc33f.jpg

Its a must for any Omega Fan, its expensive but worth every penny.

Keef Richards likes this.
  3. Keef Richards Apr 20, 2019

Over $500 and it's seems not to be in print anymore. Probably an over kill of what I'm looking for but thanks

4. arturo7 Apr 20, 2019

I have the same curiosity.

There has to be a website somewhere, right? I just haven't found it yet.

5. Keef Richards Apr 20, 2019

Edited Apr 20, 2019
  6. ericmtl Apr 20, 2019

They still have some laying in the back at some of the boutiques, I got on the phone and called a few boutiques, got a call back that they had one left (last month) got it for a little under 325$ U.S. shipping included, its still a lot of money but if you are able to locate one at that price, if you decide to part with it one day you'll be able to get your money back and even make a little profit. anyhow good luck and cheers!

7. Longbow Apr 21, 2019

8. Keef Richards Apr 23, 2019

It's amazing what you can find on the internet regarding movements in watches. I learned a lot this past week on ETA movements, coaxial movements and the difference between the cheaper watches and more expensive that have the higher end movements in them.

The bottom line is the ETA movements are just fine, though you will lose more seconds per day then on the higher end movements. Just like a Ford versus a Mercedes, they both have engines, and you may not notice much difference when driving at a steady speed , but the reliability and better quality parts inside the car it's something that you enjoy.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 23, 2019

You have reached level 1 in your knowledge. Level 2 is understanding everything you read on the internet is not correct. Level 3 is understanding everything you just said is actually wrong.

Lucasssssss and time flies like this.
  10. Keef Richards Apr 23, 2019

How about you teaching me about Level 2? :rolleyes:

11. impalla62ss Apr 23, 2019

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 23, 2019

What you think is the difference between cheapo and expensive movements is not always what they seem.

Accuracy has nothing to do with cost of the movement. Example, ETA 7750 caliber for example can be made in chronometer grade and would be much more accurate on average then much much more expensive movements. Accuracy varies widely even between identical movements, and even more so with the skill of the watchmaker who does the service.

Cost of the movement has nothing to do with how robust or reliable it is. You would be amazed how many Seiko movements from the late 60's are still accurately running strong and have never been serviced.

Cost of the movement in many cases comes down to the finishing level, or marketing budget of the watch.

Accurate watches may have affordable movements or expensive movements

Robust and strong movements may be cheap or expensive and the inverse.

The more decoration on a movement the higher the cost.

The level of detail on a movement like a Patek and the level of finishing which exceeds what you can see down to how the gears are finished not to mention the never seen back sides of the plates is beyond what you would believe and is what drives the price. It does not always mean that it is more reliable.