Forums Latest Members

Any idea what spring bar would be correct for this?

1. M'Bob Jul 13, 2018

This is a ref 6565, that is 19mm between the pierced lugs. The watchmaker who has mine says he cannot find the proper spring bar for this, meaning, the tips of the bars are the correct diameter, and long enough to completely fill the lugs holes. Since I'm going to wear it on a strap, I'm guessing the diameter of the central portion is less critical. Any help would be appreciated.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

noelekal likes this.
  2. Dan S Jul 13, 2018

Why is it necessary that the tips of the spring bars are long enough to completely fill the lug holes? The standard springbar for this type of drilled-through lug would be a single shoulder (sometimes called shoulder-less) springbar, and they will certainly extend into the lug holes farther than the springbars with flanges.

http://www.ofrei.com/page1750.html

Edited Jul 13, 2018
    Larry S and Foo2rama like this.
  3. M'Bob Jul 13, 2018

Purely aesthetics; looks better.

4. Dan S Jul 13, 2018

OK, got it. In that case, I think your best bet is to actually measure the widths of the lugs of your particular watch (since they may have been polished in the past) and look for single-shoulder springbars with extensions of the right length, or longer. If the extensions are a bit too long, you can always grind/file them down and polish the ends.

M'Bob and noelekal like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 13, 2018

Here we go again sourcing parts for watchmakers. WTF? Springbars?

6. Dan S Jul 13, 2018

Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I do have springbar assortments for lugs and clasps. I like to change out bracelets and straps now and then, and it's often easier to use new springbars instead of trying to recycle the same ones over and over again. And besides, those springy little things often fly off to unknown locations and it's nice to be able to replace them as needed. :)

akshayluc420 and Larry S like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 13, 2018

So a watchmaker not having such an assortment .. what kind of watchmaker is this? ::confused2::

8. alam Jul 14, 2018

a BYOSB shop.... Bring Your Own Spring Bars shop

:)

paulwatch001 likes this.
  9. M'Bob Jul 14, 2018

It's a dilemma, for sure. Decent watchmakers seem to be scarce, so there seems be be an unusual amount of slack-cutting...at least on my part.

10. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 14, 2018

The ones I have on mine, double shoulders, measure about 24.7 mm from tip to tip.

Good luck

11. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 14, 2018

Here is a pic..
    p.jpg

M'Bob likes this.
  12. alam Jul 14, 2018

i understand this concept and makes sense in my mind, but...
    24.7mm when lug size requires 19mm? isn’t that a bit of a stretch? ::confused2::

13. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 14, 2018

19mm is the distance between the lugs, not from outside of the case to have the holes filled in.
    You will need 19mm springs, just measure them so they fit to your liking..

alam likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 14, 2018

I have to say in all my years of collecting and being a watchmaker, this is the first time I've heard of such a request...

felsby and Dan S like this.
  15. M'Bob Jul 14, 2018

Would I be correct, then, that the spring bar ends were never meant to completely fill the holes? Then how does one determine what is the proper depth to fill? Half the lug? A quarter? What is adequate vs. what is optimal?

16. Dan S Jul 14, 2018

I don't think people generally consider it in that context, i.e. the fraction of the hole that is filled. You want to use a high-quality springbar that is made for the proper lug spacing, 19mm in your case, which will ensure that the ends are sturdy and extend far enough into the hole to provide sufficient strength.

Archer and Foo2rama like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 14, 2018

This...and specifically what the manufacturer would call out as the correct spring bar.

18. Professor Jul 15, 2018

Some of my cheapo Chinese bands have a piece of plastic tubing that the spring bars slip into. If a piece of tubing of the right diameter can be found it would fill in for a too slender spring bar and brace it to prevent the bar from bending.

I haven't checked the diameter but the bars of my Pobeda look to be near twice as thick as standard bars.

I picked up a spring bar assortment pack awhile back. It has several hundred bars of many different lengths. Only complaint I'd have is the bars seem thinner than standard.

Awhile back when replacing a band of a Indian refurb I found one spring bar was way oversized and jammed into place. I had to break the bar in the center to get it out. The larger diameter section was a hair longer than the distance between lugs. A very tight fit with some bending.