Forums Latest Members
  1. jaa5108 Apr 5, 2016

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, so apologies if I'm not following protocol.

My Grandfather recently passed away, and among his belongings was this watch. I've been trying to find some information on it, but haven't come up with anything so far. I even looked through all of the old watches on the Omega website.

It is a hand wind watch (unless the automatic winding part is broken), my guess is from somewhere in the 40s - 60s. The crown does not have the Omega logo on it. I wasn't able to find many other examples with similar hands, and was not able to find a single other example of a watch that has that little arc above the seconds crosshairs (it's not just a scratch, that arc is actually printed on the dial). Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the case open to look inside, so I don't have a serial number or anything (I know that would clear a lot of things up....).

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with it. I don't think I want to invest a whole lot of money in it, unless it's especially rare or valuable, but I'm assuming it's at least worth oiling it up, throwing a strap on it, and maybe polishing the crystal. That is, if it's even authentic.

Are there any telltale marks on here that give you guys an idea about how old this watch is or anything about it? Is there anything I should specifically look for?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

IMG_5257.JPG

2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 5, 2016

3. ulackfocus Apr 5, 2016

Hi there!

I'd guess it to be from the 50's. If it were an automatic winding caliber inside, the dial would say AUTOMATIC just below the OMEGA so it is a manual wind most likely unless the dial was improperly finished. There weren't many Omega automatics with subdial seconds anyway (47x, and maybe one other) so you're assumption is 99% correct.

Oh, the hands look like they're mismatch so were probably replaced at some point in the watch's life.

If you can get a professional to open it, snap a picture of the inside of the caseback and the movement that are clear enough to read the numbers and we can tell you much more.

Heirlooms rock!

4. dx009 Apr 5, 2016

Yep, most likely manual wind and from the 50s...crown is probably not original...it might be missing a cut-away 6 o'clock hour marker too...
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was redialed a long time ago...

5. Kwijibo Apr 6, 2016

I'de say it looks more 60's to me. I don't think there is any markers lacking at 6. just open it and tell us the reference. It should look really better with a new crystal and crown even if the dial must have suffered.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 6, 2016

Fixed it for you. Less is better sometimes.;)

7. DON Apr 6, 2016

Probably late 50's early 60's. Hands not original. Small hand probably is.

Movement. Need to unscrew or pop off the snap back

DON

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2016

Probably a watch made before 1970, maybe an Omega.

dougiedude, dx009 and STANDY like this.
  9. jaa5108 Apr 6, 2016

Haha thanks guys... Sounds like it's not anything super rare or valuable, which is exactly what I needed to know. So when I take it to the jeweler and they want $600 to totally restore it I can tell them no thanks.

I'll probably just get it oiled, throw on a brown croc strap and enjoy it for what it is. I'd definitely be interested in knowing the exact age though, so when I get the caseback opened I'll have to check that out.

Thanks again!

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 6, 2016

Sentimental value is worth getting it serviced new crystal and hands. Find a independent omega watchmaker near you and send it in. What you spend on it you will get back in wearing yourself value..

Where you located on the globe someone might be able to point you in the right direction rr service.

red crowned likes this.