Forums Latest Members

Any idea about the year of my Omega Seamaster Automatic?

1. gasmsk Apr 13, 2016

Hello, First of all i'm new here, and any help/advice will be appreciated. My grand father or my great grand father owned this Omega Seamaster Automatic. I am not sure about the year, and tbh I wasn't even knowledgeable about its importance until a few years back when i looked online. Recently, i've developed interest in watches and i've been wanting to get my watch restored or atleast have enough information to pass it on to any stores that will restore it.
    Its a winding watch. My father gave it to some stupid watch store for restoration a few years back and i'm not even sure what they did to it, but the crown has, over the years, fell off and vanished, the store changed the leather, and i have no idea what else.

I'm attaching pictures, and i'd like to know how should i go about this whole process, what stores are certified, and where should i exactly go to get it fixed while maintaining its condition?

Note: on the bottom of the dial it does say "Swiss Made" but i guess the dial has moved and i wasn't able to take a pic that would show it properly

20160413_033134.jpg 20160413_033120.jpg
    Edited Apr 13, 2016
  2. DON Apr 13, 2016

1950's with bumper movement (below image). You would need a 4 notch crown style. Hands in terrible condition (red not original), so need to find new one's.

Dial badly aged. Can refinish (will look close, but not the same) or try and find one in better condition, but needs to be in nice condition to match the new hands or it just looks odd.

Best to post your location and maybe someone can suggest someone to do the work if you want

DON

[​IMG]

3. gasmsk Apr 13, 2016

I live in LA, USA, would appreciate any help that i can get or an estimate. I sent pictures to the omega site, and they referred me to some http://www.sguscustomerservice.com/ I have zero clue about whether or not i should send it here.
    I read a few articles online about restoration and most of them recommended that i keep the original stuff, since that retains the value, and neither am i willing to get new parts etc. My sole purpose is to keep it as is, but in a working condition (even though if the hand is not original i'd want to get one from some where).

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 13, 2016

That is the Omega Service Center in Switzerland. It would cost a minimum of $800 to $1,000 for Omega to service the watch, not including a redial (which they will insist on). You'll get a two year guarantee on it. It will come back looking like a new watch and probably running like one too.

However, that's about double the value of the watch, before the dial work. An independent watchmaker would probably charge you 1/4 to 1/3 of that amount. You'll get back a vintage looking watch, maybe with new hands. It will be functional, but not perfect. But it will maintain the original dial, which has a little bit of life left in it.

It's all up to you.
    gatorcpa

5. moonphaselover Apr 13, 2016

As with the current car "rat rod" craze,
    a little "patina" is acceptable, but too
    much can detract.

A "redial" will eliminate any "patina"
    on that dial, and with it, potential
    conversations about your fore-bearers
    who wore the watch so well.

Same can be said for the case,
    and it's personal history of
    care and devotion.

A reliable and accurate "motor,"
    however, is a real must !

It's only original once.

6. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2016

You could try Dalton Toledo at ABC Watch Werks. He does some great work and is in your neck of the woods. Won't be cheap, but will be WAY less than sending it to Omega in Switzerland. Also, Omega uses any modern part that fits where an independent who specializes in vintage will find the correct replacement parts, like that clover crown (4 notched).

Leave the dial alone, and if you havre the case refinished make sure they do the absolute minimum and leave the facets as sharp as possible.

7. Ravineman Apr 14, 2016

great advise. Unless you're attached to the watch, go to the for sale section and see what you can buy that has already been sorted. If you decide to get it repaired its a pretty plain watch