Forums Latest Members

Any hesitation in buying a used watch with no warranty card if...?

1. rahul718 Apr 27, 2019

Hello all,

I came across a Seamaster 2254.50 that has the full set except for the warranty card. It has the box, pictogram card and chronometer card. The watch even has the red dot on the case back, so it’s never been opened or refinished. Overall from what I can see is it’s in 99.9% excellent condition and looks hardly worn. Usually I like to buy a complete full set and this would be the first time doing otherwise. I’m buying it from a reseller so history of the watch is unknown, so there’s a possibility this could have been an old grey market watch or maybe it was honestly just misplaced - I’ll never know. But the price is excellent. Questions are:

- This is likely a 13 year old watch or so, so any warranty would have expired by now. Aside from making a full set, would the warranty card provide any further value in the future?

- Would you guys let the absence of a warranty card get in the way of a great deal on an otherwise near mint 2254.50 that’s never been opened or tampered with? What if you were looking to make this a keeper? Would the lack of a full set come in the way of that?

Omega did verify the serial number for me and it’s in their database, so I would get it serviced (not refinished) and get a 2 year warranty on top of it.

Thoughts?

Appreciate the feedback!

fskywalker likes this.
  2. Evitzee Apr 27, 2019

It's a grey market watch which is why no warranty card. As long as it's authentic and the price is right the missing card doesn't mean anything.

3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 27, 2019

In my opinion, and others may differ, the lack of an original warranty card matters little or nothing. As far as I can make out, you have done comprehensive research and the price and condition both meet your criteria. Unless you decide to sell later and the only offer is from an obsessive completist (unlikely given the popularity of the 2254.50 and its sword hands cousins), the card is irrelevant. Buy it and enjoy it :thumbsup:

rahul718, Foo2rama, 77deluxe and 2 others like this.
  4. 77deluxe Apr 27, 2019

I’d be ok with it, and practically always ok with no documents, unless it is a Panerai base.

rahul718 and Foo2rama like this.
  5. speedyproftw Apr 27, 2019

Paul Newman's Daytona didn't come with a warranty card and it sold for almost $18M, so I think you're good!

rahul718 likes this.
  6. rahul718 Apr 27, 2019

Alright thanks guys. At least Omega verified that it’s indeed in their database so that’s a big plus. I’m going to buy it!

7. ericmtl Apr 28, 2019

Since you will ''get it serviced (not refinished) and get a 2 year warranty on top of it'' keep all the paperwork from the service and if you do get it done with Omega you can ask an official card that says you had it serviced, to me and some others that adds value to the watch. In case you ever want to trade up or sell it . and of course let us see pictures when you receive it, cheers

8. rahul718 Apr 28, 2019

I believe Omega stopped providing that cool white service card. Now it’s just plain boring paperwork. I’ll be sure to ask them when I send it in though. Thanks!

ericmtl likes this.
  9. FlyingSnoopy Apr 28, 2019

So long that it is not stolen you have no problems....
    Cheers

10. alam Apr 28, 2019

come back with pics! good luck!

11. hbombkid Apr 28, 2019

If you trust the seller and and price is right go for it especially if omega verified and you are getting serviced. Maybe see if they might give you a price break since you are getting serviced.

It will then come back with a card from omega so keep that and the receipt so if you ever sell it will help in price and getting a buyer.

12. QuarkScattering Apr 28, 2019

I think the "warranty" card you are referring to is the initialed and dated watch maker's calibration record card with watch serial number, measured accuracy and pass/fail on pressure test. As with anything else having a warranty, keep all of your payment receipts and any ancillary paperwork (I received a short note from the service center indicating "as-found" inspection results before I authorized the repair). When I last checked, Omega will charge $500 (including 2 year warranty) for a complete service overhaul of your 2254.50.

13. mjb Apr 29, 2019

OP, sounds great, congrats. Having no warranty card on a watch out of warranty doesn't bother me at all.

14. boraxman Apr 29, 2019

No wouldn't bother me a bit....Congrats!

15. asrnj77 May 1, 2019

If the watch is priced accordingly I wouldn't have an issue with it. If it priced similar to watches with the card I would balk. The full set does make a difference and the older the watch gets the more significant the value of the card is. Look at any old Speedmaster with full paperwork and without...it can be thousands of dollars difference. Just my .02

16. fskywalker May 6, 2019

Go for it! :thumbsup: