Forums Latest Members
  1. bobbynegs Mar 3, 2013

Hi! New on here, so be gentle with me.

I've acquired my dad's old Omega. I've coveted it ever since I was a kid and, having been bought a new watch by his other half, he's given it to me. I love it, even if the strap is a bit 'dressy' for my tastes.

What I'm after is any definite identification of model and year. A ballpark value wouldn't go amiss, but for insurance purposes rather than for selling as I hope, one day to hand it down to my son too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have tried the Omega Vintage thing but not sure which number to put in. the two 4 digit numbers seem to throw up a Tresor, ranging from 1957 to 1962. I've tried Google images and have found a couple that are similar but not the same.

The watch was bought around 1962, but he can't remember if it was new, or exactly how much, but it would have been very expensive relative to what he was earning. Not sure if the strap is original or not but it's the one that came with it. He has had the dial/face restored about 10 years ago as it sustained a bit of damage but I think the rest is all original.

As i say, a definite i.d. would be great and it will sit nicely along my old seamaster 600.

Thanks in advance

Bob

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Hi you have a 2897 Trésor 18k gold watch. Produced between 1957-62. From you photo it looks like the movement is a Caliber 491, as expected for the watch.

Do you know if the band is gold, look for a mark?

3. bobbynegs Mar 3, 2013

There is a mark, can't quite make it out as you'll see. Nothing on it identifying it as an Omega band though.

[​IMG]

4. MyVintageOmega Mar 3, 2013

Welcome to the forum.

5. bobbynegs Mar 4, 2013

Thanks. I'm a novice when it comes to Omega other than the fact my dad's one held me captivated from childhood. He moved to the UK from Italy in 1957 and the first things he saved up for were a flat and a watch. He was left another one when his brother died in the early sixties but has no idea where it ended up. Another uncle has a Seamaster De Ville, like the one pictured below, which I hope to pick up off him later this year as he's moving to a nursing home and doesn't trust the staff (old age does that it seems, though he may well be right). My only watch is a Seamaster 600, which I think dates from 1962. It needs a bit of attention, but has been checked and is in full working order. It may sound sacreligious to some of you but I prefer it to show a bit of age. I took it to be checked out at a jewllers Guild place and they looked to sell me the full service/restoration package. I then took it to a local clock repair shop where he checked it out, straightened the slightly bent second hand and all for £20 + VAT.

[​IMG]

And (one like) mine...

[​IMG]

...though mine isn't quite that big. Apologies for the giant picture.

Privateday7 likes this.
  6. bobbynegs Mar 7, 2013

I spoke to my father earlier about this. he mentioned the strap, and how he took it to a jeweller a good few years ago as the strap/band needed a bit of attention. The guy in the shop said there was little he could do but he suggested selling the strap for it's worth as gold, and even suggested trying to sell it to Omega as they would be interested in it. All this despite the fact I can't find a single mark on it to determine whether it's an actual Omega strap.

7. bobbynegs Mar 18, 2013

Just got a confirmation from Omega that the strap is indeed the original.