Forums Latest Members
  1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 16, 2015

Has anyone had a chance to test their pre-1960 Radium-dialed watch for gamma?

I have a beautiful 1953 gold-capped Seamaster about to reach my doorstep, and one of the fascinations I had for the watch before I decided to buy it, was the 'Radium-burn' you can see on the dial from where the hour hand must have sat for an extended period. I'm not concerned about health issues. I know it's inhalation and ingestion of radium wherein lies potential danger in these small amounts, so for me, it's just curiousity.

So, maybe a chance to buy another 'gadget' :D...

Anyone gone for a Geiger counter?

Edited Feb 17, 2015
  2. mac_omega Feb 17, 2015

remember - merken

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 17, 2015

Are you talking pubic wigs or chili peppers? ::confused2::::confused2::

Some of the collector crowd goes nuts over geiger counters. You should read the threads over on VRF sometime.

Personally, I'm not going anywhere near a watch that requires a geiger counter before or after purchase. And not because of the radiation.

dougiedude and STANDY like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2015

I sold the only watch I had with radium. I probably get enough exposure working on these watches that I don't need to be wearing one also. I am certainly very cautious when I see stuff like this come across my bench:

[​IMG]

Although it looks like the dial was burnt, it was actually the crystal:

[​IMG]

Tritium I have no issues wearing...radium I am just not going to any longer. There are differing opinions on the exposure risk when wearing one, but another watchmaker/clockmaker I know is a former nuclear engineer, and based on his comments I am just not wearing them anymore.

Cheers, Al

TLIGuy likes this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 17, 2015

That is some impressive "burn"!

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2015

Tritium and dougiedude like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 17, 2015

dougiedude likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 17, 2015

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2015

Never heard back on that thread, so I have never bought one...maybe Byron can let us know how the one he bought turned out.

10. woodwkr2 Feb 17, 2015

11. ock2915 Feb 17, 2015

:eek::eek:Wow...scary!!!

12. Dr No Feb 17, 2015

Yes . . .

DSC00048.JPG

. . . but the movement restoration hasn't gone well so far. My watchmaker returned it in a state I didn't consider acceptable, so it's back on his bench. Amplitude topped out at 200º, and beat error was 6.3 milliseconds after service. Not .63 . . . 6.3. Worn pivots, most likely.

Thanks for posting the question - it's reminded me to check on the 2179's progress.

Cordially,

Art

13. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2015

I posted these pics awhile ago, on TZ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dougiedude and micampe like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2015

Worn pivots don't really account for a beat error like that. Where worn balance pivots will show up is say if you have a well adjusted watch otherwise, and it has one beat error in a horizontal position, and you see a very different beat error when you switch to a vertical position. There is always some side shake on these pivots or they would not function, but excessive side shake changes the centerline of the balance with respect to the balance cock or bridge, and this effectively changes the centering of the balance spring, and it shows up as beat error change.

By change I mean a beat error that changes say 0.5 ms. You really should not see much more change than that or the staff is likely very worn, or there are other issues with the watch. No way worn pivots alone would cause that much beat error, in particular in a horizontal position. I think it was likely never adjusted - on watches with no adjustable stud holder, you have to turn the collet, and getting it right on can be time consuming. Omega usually requires the beat error to be 0.8 ms max. on most calibers.

Cheers, Al

ChrisN, dougiedude and Dr No like this.
  15. Dr No Feb 17, 2015

Many thanks for the clarification, Al - most helpful. I'll talk to my watchmaker tomorrow to see what he's come up with so far.

Best,

Art

16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 17, 2015

Cool.

Looks like alot of area with radium on that dial considering those big, lumed indices...

....220 CPM and 167 CPM... How do those values compare to other watches in your collection? or, asked another way, did the watch go directly into your lead-lined vault afterwards? :D

17. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 17, 2015

My latest 'radium' dial watch (the beauty that she is) just came to my doorstep about an hour ago.

I'll post a pic once my phone battery gets a recharge (maybe it was the gamma rays that shut my phone down as I took the pic :eek:!)

Just kiddin';)

18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 17, 2015

OH, neat, just noticed, I just went nuclear, too....over a thousand likes :p

Thanks, everybody!

Edited Feb 17, 2015
    Darlinboy likes this.
  19. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2015

My older luminous watches have varying amounts of radium, of those I've tested. Ironically, the two oldest (the Longines-Tiffany I just acquired, and my Signal Corps USA Omega) have much less radium, and probably more of a purely photoluminescent compound such as zinc sulfide. I am really not concerned about wearing my radium watches in general, though.

20. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 17, 2015

Do you see much of a correlation between luminous material and the readings you're getting? None of my older ones 'appear' to have much lume area...these two just arrived to me, and on the Seamaster's, you can even see some radium burn where a hand sat for an extended period... Thanks, again, Chris, they're quite nuclear!

[​IMG]