Forums Latest Members

Any experience here with "Mumford MicroSet Precision Watch Timers" ?

1. w154 Oct 18, 2017

I bought a big box of parts a few weeks ago for one specific item, and whilst most of the other stuff is rubbish there appears to be a watch timer in there. Now I had no intention of buying one, but it would be a neat thing to have lying around to check timing. But I don't know if these are any good, and/or if it's even complete. It does turn on though, and says it a "MicroSet Precision 3" on the start-up screen.

Has anyone here ever tried one of these ? Is it worth trying to figure it out ?

image.jpg

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 18, 2017

They are still being made and sold - https://www.bmumford.com/microset.html

These are bigger in the clockmaking community than for watchmaking, but I heard of some who use it for watches also. I've never used one myself, so I can't offer up much in the way of a hands on review.

Like any timing machine unless you know how to use it properly and interpret the results, I'm not sure it's of much use to the average collector.

Cheers, Al

w154 likes this.
  3. w154 Oct 18, 2017

Thanks Al.

I looked around a bit and also concluded it was probably used for clock timing (the sensor it comes with doesn't seem well suited to work with watches, and the better sensor is more than I'd want to spend).

I'll maybe have a quick play at the weekend to see if I can get timing information from a recently serviced watch. I have a chrono with a Valjoux 7733 and they have a heck of a tick so I'll try it with that. My plan wasn't really to adjust anything, more to see if I can quickly get timing information.

4. SeanO Oct 18, 2017

Ex Park movements are annoyingly loud. My 4-68 can be heard across the room.

w154 likes this.
  5. dko Feb 27, 2021

Hi w154, do you still have the Microset 3 ?
    Thanks Stefano

6. w154 Feb 27, 2021

Yes Stefano, but never got around to trying it.

7. dko Feb 27, 2021

But is it working?
    Are you interested in selling it?

8. w154 Feb 27, 2021

I’d be happy to sell it to be honest. It’s just another thing lying around that I probably won’t use. It turns on and starts, but I’ve not checked it works correctly although I assume it does. Where are you based ? I’m in Germany.

9. dko Feb 27, 2021

I live in Bologna-Italy, my email adress is :
    Please contact me to discuss about it. Thanks Stefano

Edited by a mod Feb 27, 2021
  10. w154 Feb 27, 2021

Hi Stefano. We can talk about it on the messaging function here. I’ll send you a message.