Forums Latest Members
  1. Ferik Mar 4, 2013

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

Dude, that's wandolec, the most rootin' tootin' watch faker in aaaaaall the Ukraine!

The movement is a real vintage Omega, the rest is fabrication.
    That chance that that is authentic is ZERO!

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

The first clue is the word "Ukraine"...

Actually, he's pretty upfront in saying it's an old movement put onto a brand new case and dial. The case & dial are definitely not made by Omega - he says so.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

By golly, you're right! Since when did wandolec go legit...kinda...not really?

5. Ferik Mar 4, 2013

That's what I thought. Thanks guys.

6. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2013

My buddy! You should keep an eye on him, because his fabrications (the perfect word ;)) are legendary.

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 4, 2013

Titanium vest fastened, med kit ready, ok ready over the top --- I have to say I have a sneaking admiration for wandolec and some of his ilk, as I have for certain hackers etc. They have a talent that, could it be channeled in a different who knows :unsure:

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

Ah...well...a guy who runs an automotive chop shop has a certain skill, but it is in a different order of magnitude from that of the guy who does top-flight vintage car restoration. I'd say the Ukrainians have a ways to go in skill alone (although I admit, their stuff is less amateurish than it was 4-5 years ago), and could use a hefty dose of moral fiber and ethics as well.

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 4, 2013

Certainly wouldn't disagree on the lack of moral fiber/ethics. As an aside does anyone pay much attention to feedback ? some of the biggest hooks and crooks that I see have the magical 100%

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

Well, if you don't know what you're buying, then all the feedback really means is that the piece of junk you ordered got to you in a timely fashion, looks more or less like in the sales listing and runs. It's not as if the scales fall from the buyer's eyes upon opening the package. Positive feedback has a pretty low threshold. Unfortunately, there's no "authenticity" component, and there's probably thousands of buyers on Ebay who wouldn't know authentic if it bit them on the nose.

I'm sure you've seen what people wear these days for watches - huge, violently colored, shiny things that hang from their wrists like house-arrest bracelets. Compared to those, some of the Ukrainian product looks positively refined and graceful. To many of the buyers, it probably looks perfectly plausible for vintage.

As an aside, for those who know him, I was taken aback to see John from down in the Bowery, an otherwise standup and decent vintage watch dealer, selling a few of these at his shop when I was last there a couple of months ago. I guess he's just accepted that there is a market for them. Sad.

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 4, 2013

All very true LouS, and obviously the uninitiated do not even have there expensive purchase checked out on receipt.
    All quite sad, even the law of averages does not seem to come in to play, many hundreds of sales per year and no negative feedback.

12. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 5, 2013

...from their wrists like house-arrest bracelets....

Ha! That's excellent-

13. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2013

Hey now, nothing wrong with shiny.