Forums Latest Members

Any advice? Vintage Omega Speedmaster Mark II Racing

1. docstar Jan 5, 2018

Hello all, new to the forum here and very impressed with the wealth of information available.

First post so please be gentle!

For my first Omega watch I have debated between purchasing the re-issue Mark II (327.10.43.50.06.001) or the vintage version (145.014) and after a fair bit of research I have decided to pull the trigger on a vintage version.

I am wondered if any one could enlighten me as to what I should be avoiding, rough market price, refinished or not etc.

Having contacted a couple of different sellers I have been asking for serial numbers, service history (plus evidence if possible), photos of the movement and general questions to "feel" out the seller.

Also does anyone also know what the correct bracelet is for the 145.014?

Well that's my first post, I hope you can help me with my journey to joining the Omega Club.

Thanks in advance.

2. siguzzi Jan 6, 2018

Correct bracelet is the 1162. I m not sure with 172 or 173 end link.
    Serialnumber should be in the range 28....-32....
    Take a good look on the case. You often find cases that are polished too much. Have a look on the polished part of the case on both sides.

docstar likes this.
  3. Sherbie Jan 6, 2018

Not sure if you have handled either options yet, but i would definately do this before any purchase - as these are big wathces (all dimensions) and the thick deep case does get knocked about a lot.

Me, I,d go vintage, but you may have to patient. Good examples are around, but there are a lot ropey examples about. (In the end i went for a Mark 4.5 - as patience is not one of my strong points!)

Good luck with your search regardless

Cheers paul

docstar likes this.
  4. docstar Jan 6, 2018

Thank you very much for the information, a great help.

5. docstar Jan 6, 2018

Hi, I have not had my hands on either of the watches yet so may drop into local AD to try on the re-issue. I decided on the vintage speedmaster partly because the overall case size is smaller.

I have found a decent example online that has been refurbed by STS, lapped case, new hands and pushers but an original dial for 2.2k. Looks good to me but I'm not sure if the price is over the odds. All the original parts that were changed are also included in the sale.

What do you think to the price? (also thanks for your advice!)

6. siguzzi Jan 6, 2018

Just put in some pictures here or a link and you get response. Price for a racing doesnt seem to be too high

7. Dr No Jan 6, 2018

Also 1159 with 154 end pieces for the earlier versions.

Cordially,

Art

Edited Jan 8, 2018
  8. Misterred Jan 7, 2018

The older Mark II watches came indeed with the 1159/154 bracelets. The newer ones came with the 1162/173 bracelet.

I used to own a Mark II Racing dial. Great watch, styling wise and mechanically with 861 movement. Personally I would not go for a fully refurbished old Mark II and go for an honest original one. But that up to you of course. On eBay are a couple of pretty good examples for sale now. But you must definitely try one on before buying.

I would say you must be able to land a Mark II racing dial for anything between €1500 and €2250 depending on the quality.

Please share with us what watch you are considering buying.

Happy hunting!

9. omegaswisst Jan 7, 2018

Great advice @Misterred.

The racing dial looks great in person, better than pictures tend to show, but so does the standard version.

It’s 14.55mm thick and weighs 134.61grams on a 1162/173 bracelet but wears supprisingly well.

An original example is always the go but finding one thats not been polished is difficult and needs patience.

docstar likes this.
  10. docstar Jan 7, 2018

Here is a link to the listing on ebay that I had considered (now finished):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...C9r%2FasEKOCrdEOBVPZo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Oh, I am also in the UK so 2.2k is in GBP.

The only thing that puts me off purchasing some of the watches from abroad is the import tax/vat that will be added to the purchase.

Thanks again

11. Misterred Jan 7, 2018

That is a nice watch! But the bracelet is not the original one that should come with that watch. But the watch itself looks good. I think the case has been given a restoration. I find this one rather nice but comes with probably new hands: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/RARE-USED-V...428626?hash=item2ccae2e5d2:g:wasAAOSwwKtZjK8cPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

P
    Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

12. Misterred Jan 7, 2018

13. docstar Jan 7, 2018

There are some good onces out there, most overpriced I think.

It's definitely going to take time and patience to get a good original at the right price!

14. omegaswisst Jan 7, 2018

BTW if you would like to see how much metal should be left on an unpolished case I have included a great photo from a sales post by @Waynepjr in May 2017 and spotted by @oddboy .

Mark II thick case.jpg

Edited Jan 7, 2018
    Etp095, Spacefruit and docstar like this.
  15. bama2141 Jan 7, 2018

The new versions are great with improved bracelets and fabulous lume, but the vintage ones are my preference. They’re slightly smaller and definitely lighter (on the bracelets). The sunburst finish scratches easily and can be poorly refinished in some cases. It pays to be picky. I’ve worn mine both on the bracelet and on a strap.

7E1D63E0-414E-4047-9BD7-53FF78165B00.jpeg 54F6C0AC-60AC-4DCA-AF1E-E7F649C92F64.jpeg

Tet, Etp095, docstar and 1 other person like this.
  16. bnabod Jan 7, 2018

There one of each. The new one has a solid bracelet w nice adjustable on the fly clasp.
    The old one has a old ratly bracelet which took me forever to size because it is a huge pain and I then ended up changing instantly to a leather strap.
    The new one has a lumed tacky bezel which is neat but the old one has well old time charm.
    Be careful if you buy used vintage racing a LOT of them have newer dials non Trtium and newer hands and when they don’t the Orange tends to be super faded .
    Good luck

B595B732-A19D-424C-8CDC-5C6DB0278978.jpeg EC60BEEC-CAA6-464A-9784-4A7BF7A930BF.jpeg
    Tet, Etp095, docstar and 1 other person like this.
  17. siguzzi Jan 8, 2018

docstar likes this.
  18. docstar Jan 8, 2018

Thanks for the photos, makes me want one even more!

@ omegaswisst thank you for the case image, it will come in very handy on my search

@siguzzi thanks for the link, off to have a read.

19. siguzzi Jan 9, 2018

Here you can see how a heavy refinished case looks. Also the glas stands high out of the case, much material list.

Screenshot_2018-01-09-19-04-21-027_com.ebay.kleinanzeigen.png
    Etp095 and omegaswisst like this.
  20. docstar Jan 9, 2018

Thanks that is a very good shot to show the large amount of case that has been removed.

I now feel confident, thanks to all of your replies, to find my grail watch. Its going to take time and patients but armed with this forums expert advise I know exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you all.

neilfrancis likes this.