Forums Latest Members
  1. chadders Apr 24, 2012

Hi,

Hoping someone can tell me something about this watch I have. Bought it from a dealer a few years ago - can't remember how much, but not very. Case and strap are hallmarked, but I don't wear it as I don't like the strap. I'm thinking of selling the strap and buying a leather one. Good idea? Thanks

Stephen

DSCF0476_opt.jpg DSCF0477_opt.jpg DSCF0476_opt.jpg DSCF0477_opt.jpg DSCF0478_opt.jpg DSCF0479_opt.jpg DSCF0482_opt.jpg

2. ulackfocus Apr 24, 2012

Hi Chad, welcome to Omega Forums. That's a British made case but the pictures are too small to tell if it's solid 9ct gold or not. The movement is a 28x caliber - pretty nice. The dial is probably a repaint judging by the placement and spacing of the SWISS MADE. Get a strap on it and wear it. :thumbsup:

chadders likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 24, 2012

Most UK cases were indeed 9K although I've had a a few Dennison, (A.L.D., A.L. Dennison, a well know British watch case maker) cased Constellations in 18K.

I think a nice brown lizard strap would look great.

BTW if the bracelet is indeed solid gold as well its worth a good bit in scrap value alone.

chadders likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Apr 24, 2012

Yep, the occasional 18ct Dennison case pops up. A couple years back on WUS we had one that Steve (Cicindella) sniffed out and Desmond (mondodec) confirmed. I remember it because looking at the parts it only made sense to me as a franken and I commented as such in the thread and was taken to school.

chadders likes this.
  5. chadders Apr 24, 2012

Thanks guys. The case is hallmarked - can't quite tell without magnification but I assume 9ct. As I said I bought it a few years ago, mainly for the scrap value in the bracelet. I would think that alone is now worth considerably more than I paid. So what's the deal with these watches? Dennison buys the movement and then puts the watch together (don't know much about Omega as you can tell)? Does the numbering on the case have any reference to the movement? Anyway I took the watch out a few days ago to check the timekeeping (excellent) and decided it was actually a nice looking watch, but I don't know where the bracelet came from as it doesn't really suit it (has a makers mark on the hallmark DJ&Co.). Glad you agree that it would look a lot better with a leather strap. Any suggestions on good quality UK sources for that?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 25, 2012

Many countries the UK and USA included, at one time had stiff import duties on Swiss watches, so the movements were imported and cased locally, by Omega approved case makers, hence the official Omega seal inside the case back. Norman Morris was the official importer for Omega in the US from the mid 1940s to the end of the 1970s, I'm not sure who the official UK importer was though. Virtually all Swiss manufactures during this time used this system of sending uncased movements abroad. As noted previously UK cases are usually 9K, however USA cases were typically 14K. As a side note, Omega movements officially imported to the US during this time are marked OXG. I am unaware of any correlation between the numbering inside your case back and the movement. Five and six number designations inside Omega cases often are the reference given by Omega for the model, however I do not recognize the numbers in yours as one of these.

Hirsch makes a wide range of quality straps, Google them, I know there are several UK based vendors for Hirsch straps.

chadders likes this.
  7. chadders May 16, 2012

Thanks for all your previous info. guys - very helpful. I checked the movement again, it's 285 caliber. I hope you don't mind me asking for another piece of advice. I've been monitoring the watch for a while, keeps really good time. However the second hand is erratic - sometimes stops, sometimes speeds up. Is this the sort of problem a service might help with? I know it wont have been looked at for a few years. If that's the case any advice on who to contact for service/repair in the UK? I'm not sure the watch is actually worth the Omega pricings for a service. Thanks again.

8. ulackfocus May 16, 2012

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2012

I should probably message Chris and invite him to drop by, think its the second time in 12 hours he's had a referral.