Forums Latest Members

Any advice for a trip to Miami?

1. wkimmd Nov 2, 2017

in Miami for a couple days for a meeting - any advice for a nice stroll, some snooping, and possibly some shopping for vintage? Did a search but nothing came up. I imagine Miami is not the kind of place for hidden finds and big bargains...

2. sjg22 Nov 2, 2017

Miami is home to one of my favourite restaurants to visit - Casa Tua. Beautiful ambiance and outstanding food - slightly hard to find behind a tall hedge (which adds to the experience once you're inside).

Try for a table outside if weather permits, although inside is also beautiful.

In terms of vintage, Gray & Sons is worth a visit although definitely no bargains.

wkimmd likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2017

Miami is a nice town, but like any big city, watch where you go wearing expense watches, or... leave your Rolex at home.

@gatorcpa can better tell you where not to go.

wkimmd likes this.
  4. sjg22 Nov 2, 2017

I feel like you see enough two-tone Rolex Subs wandering the city that I wouldn't be too worried, particularly if you're properly insured.

wkimmd likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2017

Property or life??

wkimmd and Toishome like this.
  6. wkimmd Nov 2, 2017

Hahahahaha.
    Love OF.
    W

7. wkimmd Nov 2, 2017

Thanks for the tip!!

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 2, 2017

Miami is a great place to shop for new watches, not so much for vintage.

Very nice outdoor mall in Design District:

https://www.miamidesigndistrict.net/shop/

All the big brand boutiques are there. Great restaurants, too.

There are top vintage dealers here, but most don’t have storefronts. Grey & Sons do, but you are looking at top Miami Beach retail pricing.

Also, go the the Seybold Buliding in Downtown Miami. You’ll find this place on ground floor.

http://www.vintagewatchesmiami.com/

If they have watches on display (not every day), they are impressive specimens. Seybold has retail stores on ground and 2nd floors. Some have vintage watches, most do not. Again, expect full retail pricing.

Happy hunting!
    gatorcpa

wkimmd likes this.
  9. wkimmd Nov 2, 2017

Thanks @gatorcpa!!

10. TsoloT Nov 2, 2017

Seybold building is good but the dealer network is very tight so you are unlikely to get to a bargain
    If you go in the Feb the Miami watch fair is something else maybe 10 times bigger than Munich
    The recent 2915 record breaking sale went to a dealer in Miami who has already sold it on it’s that kind of place
    All the decent areas are very safe ... Most people I know there tend to wear much more expensive watches then i the U.K. so I wouldn’t worry

wkimmd likes this.
  11. saulgoodman Nov 2, 2017

Pardon me for saying so, but this is bad advise. Just a few years ago Miami was well known for tourist muggings and car jack attempts. The signs from the airports directing tourists to the usual destinations have improved, but not much else. Like any large city, one wrong turn can place you in a bad situation. There are many bad areas that must be avoided. If you don't know your way around leave the expensive stuff at home.

OP:

As for shopping for watches, Miami does not offer much in the way of vintage. There are some nice shops downtown where you can find previously owned luxury watches. This area is pretty safe during the day, but stay away at night.

For a nice stroll South Beach is pretty popular. Start on Ocean Drive and 5th, and work your way North. There are restaurants, clubs, hotels, art deco architecture, and the beach to keep you entertained. Be prepared to pay ridiculous tourist prices here and at the nearby trendy Lincoln Road Mall, an outdoor area that is also good for a nice stroll.

There are many very good upscale restaurants in Miami. Too many to mention. However, to me Miami means Cuban food. Best in the world. If you venture to SW 8th Street and 35th Avenue you will find Versailles Restaurant. This place offers some of the best Cuban food in the world for very reasonable prices. It isn't fancy, but it is the real thing.

Have fun.

Edited Nov 2, 2017
    wkimmd likes this.
  12. wkimmd Nov 2, 2017

I love all the restaurant recommendations, people!
    @saulgoodman will definitely try Versailles!
    @sjg22 will try to find Casa Tua!
    WK

13. TsoloT Nov 2, 2017

Lived there for 20 years never got robbed nor did I ever know anyone who got robbed must try harder

Kmart, Traveler and wkimmd like this.
  14. saulgoodman Nov 2, 2017

Only 20? Try 50.

If you will re-read my post, I said that being unfamiliar with the area can be problematic. Arrive at 7:00 PM at MIA without a clue, rent a car, miss the 836 East ramp and end up near 27th Avenue at 9:00 PM working your way North and East. You're streak may come to and end!

The difference between you and the OP asking for advice is that you know what to stay away from, he doesn't. If I'm wrong wear your Rolex tonight and go hang out at a few of the more notorious places in town, go for a stroll and see how well you do?

Edited Nov 2, 2017
    wkimmd likes this.
  15. sjg22 Nov 2, 2017

I've lived in Miami. I currently live in Toronto (which is a bigger city than Miami). I've also lived in London and spent a decent amount of time in New York - also big cities. All have "good" areas and "bad" areas.

People in all of these places wear nice watches. I have worn nice watches in all of these cities on a daily basis. The people that wear nice watches that I talk to do not feel like they're taking their lives in their own hands doing so.

I'm sure like many of you, i've also traveled to many cities around the world, some more prosperous than others. Most people don't wander places like Istanbul, Rio or Mexico City blindly (let alone a modern and relatively safe city like Miami) - modern technology provides a far greater insight as to the "good" vs. "bad" areas of a city, meaning you're unlikely to encounter truly bad areas regardless of whether you're a tourist or not.

Be smart. Have insurance. Live life. There's nothing wrong with wearing nice watches in Miami - i'm sorry if you think that's "bad advice" but i will respectfully disagree with you sir based upon my personal experience.

Can you get mugged? Of course. Is it likely? No. Can people drown in swimming pools? Yes. Should you never go into one? I would say no, because despite the minor risk, it's fun to do - just like wearing watches in cities.

Edited Nov 2, 2017
    Kmart, Traveler and wkimmd like this.
  16. saulgoodman Nov 2, 2017

I think you are missing the point. Of course Miami is a great city. Nevertheless, people who don't know their way around get mugged or worse every day. It is one thing to know your way around and avoid the pitfalls. It is quite another to mistakenly walk into the wrong environment, which is what many visitors unfortunately do on a daily basis. It is no different in Miami than it is in any other large city. There are do's and there are don'ts. It is that simple. If what you are telling the OP is to wear his watches but be aware of his surroundings and make sure he knows what to stay away from, then we agree. To do otherwise would be foolish.

Anyway, this was about places to go and things to see. Lets hope it gets back to that.

wkimmd likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 2, 2017

Whether they are wearing a nice watch or not...

wkimmd likes this.
  18. saulgoodman Nov 2, 2017

Nevertheless, people who don't know their way around get mugged or worse every day.

So the takeaway should really be wear your good stuff in places and situations that you are familiar with, and bring a beater to places you are less familiar with, and are more likely to inadvertently stray into trouble. It is common sense.

wkimmd likes this.
  19. Drawarms Nov 2, 2017

you MUST go to Joes Stone crab. OMG :thumbsup:

Kmart, saulgoodman and wkimmd like this.
  20. wkimmd Nov 2, 2017

I feel like I have a whole bunch of moms looking over me - but in a good way. Thanks for all the advice and recs people! Will report back!
    W