Forums Latest Members

Any advice for a Longines 6654-1 restoration project

1. w154 Dec 24, 2017

I've always been terrified of getting burnt on vintage Longines but when this showed up on eBay for 40 bucks it was hard to say no. Obviously the dial is shot, and the caseback is horribly chewed-up, but it does seem all original and the caseback number matches the number on the lugs. Apparently it's not running but the balance was described as being free and the movement generally looks OK. Now it's not landed yet, but I'm wondering what to try and do with it when it does.

The two main questions would be:

1) the dial... leave as is, clean it (probably not much can be done though), redial, or seek a replacement ?

2) the caseback... leave as is, or try and skim the worst of the damage off on a lathe ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Any thoughts from the resident Longines fans ?

dodo44 likes this.
  2. dodo44 Dec 24, 2017

Congrats; a real steal for $40. Leave it as is. With the cross-hair design, the dial is quite attractive (not much that can be done anyway). The marks on the caseback are deep and skimming it will not look good (it will be as much an eyesore as the existing scratches). And it cannot be undone. When the watch enters the $10k territory thanks to Hodinkee recognizing it as a landmark design of 20th century design, you can invest in some case restoration involving laser welding ;).

3. argonbeam Dec 24, 2017

+1

4. Yuriae Dec 24, 2017

I'd let it as it is now aswell.

This watch was probably not a safe queen and it would be weird to have a worn case, a scratched caseback and an immaculate - redone or replaced - dial.

Best,

Yuriae/Marc

5. plowjockey Dec 25, 2017

Same as above, just get the movement serviced.

6. Caliber561 Dec 25, 2017

I guess you could get someone with a PUK welder and some fine skills to clean up the scratches on the back.