Forums Latest Members

Antiquorum Hong Kong auction 25 April - 2915-2 sold...

1. Kiwibloke Apr 23, 2021

Many more Rolex than Omega as expected - but I'm curious to know how one would be expected to bid (on-line) with the (very) limited information and number of photos provided for the majority of watches?...

The 166.024 Seamaster 300 has 1 photo. The 2913-3 Seamaster 300 has 1 photo. The 2914-6 Railmaster has 1 photo.

I'm obviously missing something about how these actually work...::confused2::

Dan S likes this.
  2. Evitzee Apr 23, 2021

Most auction houses give you one or two photos. More expensive lots may get a couple more. You aren't going to get more info on run-of-the-mill Omegas. That's part of the minefield buying at auction. Let the buyer beware.

Kiwibloke likes this.
  3. Dan S Apr 23, 2021

Yes, it can be a problem with some auctions, but not in this case. You can obviously trust the AQ description and bid with confidence. Their expertise and integrity are SO highly respected.

:rolleyes:

4. NotAClue Apr 23, 2021

This post don’t belong here... someone should place it on the « tell me a joke » thread ::bleh::

cristos71 likes this.
  5. Medinatalzahra Apr 23, 2021

For some more practical advice, for any reputable auction house (AQ included), you can contact the auction house and ask for more detailed photos and condition report for any watch being sold. You should do this well ahead of any auction for pieces you are considering bidding on.

Now specifically with respect to AQ, they move a lot of watches, so their auctions are a mixed bag. They have some truly exceptional pieces, but also pieces with serious issues. I will say, however, that based on my experience more often than not the price matches the watch with AQ. I have purchased many watches from AQ. You just need to be an informed buyer. Hope this helps.... M

Dries and Kiwibloke like this.
  6. Medinatalzahra Apr 23, 2021

I will add that auction houses are businesses. It is ultimately up to you, the buyer, to determine quality, condition, and value... M

7. Kiwibloke Apr 23, 2021

I guess the 2915-2 did get a total of seven photos... what's 'expensive' and sufficient information to make an informed decision I suppose depends on the buyer's pockets - personally I'm not going to shell out $8-10k on the basis of 1 pic - that's a lottery versus relatively well informed buying process. But take heart from comment that can request additional information/photos ahead of time. I wasn't intending to do anything other than monitor this auction - but if something had truly taken my fancy, I was wondering what do go on...

8. stonestone Apr 24, 2021

Antiquorum will send you more photos and their condition assessment on request. I saw that 2915-2 in person at their office here in Hong Kong last week -- pretty gorgeous piece. Curious how much it will fetch. When I was there I was the only one looking at it. Everyone else was focused on the Rolexes, as usual.

9. tmad03 Apr 25, 2021

Thats just sad, maybe i should book an appointment to view it as well....

10. Kiwibloke Apr 25, 2021

Well, any lack of viewing for the 2915-2 didn't impact the sale! - sold for HKD1.125m or ~USD 145k...

The Railmaster and two Seamasters with 1 photo each didn't sell...

tmad03 likes this.
  11. stonestone Apr 25, 2021

That's a respectable price. Kind of glad to see it was appreciated. It is a beautiful piece.

tmad03 likes this.
  12. tmad03 Apr 26, 2021